Top ten best Studio Ghibli movies of all time

By Jordan Hum | Copy Editor

1. Spirited Away – One of the most popular Ghibli films, Hayao Miyazaki outdid himself with one of the most compelling coming of age stories to grace the movie screen. This otherworldly tale plunges into an immersive world of spirits and magic with unforgettable characters. Follow Chihiro in a tale of independence that is sure to leave audiences in awe. From the pacing, the colors, a dreamy score, this nostalgia-awakener is unforgettable. 

2. Grave of the Fireflies – Get the tissues ready. Director Isao Takahata’s wartime classic is one of the most heart-wrenching films ever made. Follow a brother and sister caught in World War II as they attempt to overcome setback after setback. What sets this movie apart is how real it is, showing the consequences of war in heartbreaking fashion, ensuing an emotional experience that is impossible to forget.

3. My Neighbor Totoro – The staple film of Studio Ghibli, Miyazaki’s story of two girls in an unfamiliar environment is sure to rouse even the deepest childhood memories. Every scene shows the amount of care put into this movie, and the bright visuals bring a child-like wonder to the film. With themes such as the value of family intertwined within the children’s movie, this is definitely a movie for the entire family.

4. Princess Mononoke – With a heavy theme on environmentalism, Miyazaki captures the true essence of man versus nature in this film. Contrasting the childlike animation of typical Studio Ghibli films, this darker work doesn’t shy away from blood. Its strong feminist theme continue to make the film more relevant than ever. In addition, the mystical world-building creates a thrilling plot that makes this movie a cannot miss.

5. Howl’s Moving Castle – A subliminal love story that draws viewers in from the opening, this dreamy fantasy is a wonderful film full of adventure and metaphors. Although sometimes confusing, the small cast of charming characters more than makes up for it. With likely the most famous Studio Ghibli score, the graceful music adds to every scene resulting in a true masterpiece.

6. Laputa: Castle in the Sky – Studio Ghibli’s first official film is a beautiful tale with an overarching message about the abuse of technology. Taking place in an industrial world, this mythical action tale will have viewers on the edge of their seats. With a strong, amusing antagonist, and action throughout, “Castle in the Sky” makes for a perfect introduction to Studio Ghibli.

7. Kiki’s Delivery Service – An all-time comfort movie, this quaint Miyazaki film lacks grand spectacle. However, after understanding that it isn’t supposed to be adrenaline rushing, viewers will find themselves appreciating the film even more. A coming of age story about a young witch, this movie will have viewers wanting to cuddle up with a warm blanket to enjoy the film.

8. Whisper of the Heart – A relatable teen romance directed by Yoshifumi Kondo, follow and sympathize with two young teens as they fall in love through their mutual love of books. Even though the film is slow at times, the engaging trials and tribulations of being a teenager are captured vividly. 

9. When Marnie was There – Directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, this enigmatic piece is a haunting animated film that leaves tears in the eyes of watchers. Mysterious from start to finish, the story of a young girl meeting an unlikely friend is as compelling as ever. Even with a cloudy storyline, this movie is certainly worth a watch. 

10. The Wind Rises – A biopic of Japanese plane engineer Jiro Horikoshi, Miyazaki’s modern work is a slow, realistic journey about dreaming big. Although different from the mystical worlds of most Studio Ghibli films, this movie’s grounded approach makes for an emotional viewing.