Nominees, Predictions for 64th Grammy Awards 

By Ashley Sanchez | Production Chief 

EMERGING TALENT  Olivia Rodrigo dominated music charts with her debut album “Sour,” expected to win Album of the Year.

As the 64th annual Grammy Awards presented by the American National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences approaches, the anticipation is nothing short of legendary. Despite the ceremony’s postponement due to coronavirus concerns, this year’s stacked slate of nominated artists promises an event worth waiting for.

Following years of criticism of the Academy over nominations based on trends within the music industry rather than quality, the question this year is not who will win rather who should win. 

Nominations of Best New Artist consists of many well known artists from rapper Saweetie to The Kid Laroi with many upcoming artists coming from the shadows such as Arooji Aftab to Jimmie Allen. Of course, the one name that will likely come out on top in this category is talented 18 year old singer and songwriter Olivia Rodrigo. Rodrigo’s No. 1 album “Sour” included two No. 1 hits in the Billboard Hot 100 list. 

Rodrigo, following a phenomenal year of recognition, captured the essence of the teenage years many did not know they needed to reminisce, all while dominating pop with her creative songwriting skills. As an upcoming female artist and role model for the generation of young dreamers, Rodrigo’s win would not only be expected but well deserved. 

In the category of Song of the Year, contenders include songs: “Bad Habits,” “A Beautiful Noise,” “Drivers License,” “Fight For You,” “Happier Than Ever,” “Kiss Me More,” “Leave The Door Open,” “Montero (Call Me By Your Name),” “Peaches” and “Right On Time.”

Strong nominees along with Rodrigo’s “Drivers License” are artists Billie Ellish and Silk Sonic’s releases, which are both compelling potential winners for different reasons.

Billie Ellish’s “Happier Than Ever” embodies the maturity within her own development as an artist and as a person, following her journey as she blossoms into adulthood. Meanwhile, Silk Sonic’s debut single “Leave The Door Open” is nothing short of groundbreaking, from the catchy lyrics that would not get out of everyone’s head to the silk-like vocals from an up and coming musical group consisting of talented artists Bruno Mars and Anderson Paak.

The nomination pool for Album of the Year consists of many artists that have been nominated for multiple awards this year. The competition is tough, as many of these artists have shown exceptional talent, making it a close call as to who will win. Nominated albums include: “Evermore,” “We Are,” “Love For Sale,” “Justice (Triple Chucks Deluxe),” “Planet Her (Deluxe),” “Happier Than Ever,” “Back Of My Mind,” “Montero,” “Sour” and “Donda.”

Artist Doja Cat, well known for her versatility within the pop genre, stands out amongst the nominees. Following a successful year with the release of her album “Planet Her,” her music is more popular than ever. According to her record company, she is now the first rapper to have three songs in the top 10 at Top 40 radio, while also being the second artist in general to achieve such outstanding numbers.