Cheer squad wraps up football season, preps for basketball, other performances

By Jayden Tran | Staff Writer

Photo courtesy of Bronte Ku
HOMECOMING CELEBRATION  The cheer squad strikes a pose in their festive Homecoming outfits on Oct. 21. The team performed during one last football game before the season officially ended.

Imagine being seconds away from the end of the game with the score tied, ball in hand, pushing through multiple opposing players when a chant is heard—‌ the sounds of the Gabrielino cheer team. Revving the players into action, the final shot is made. The scoreboard cries at zero, ending the game with an Eagles win.

The cheer team at Gabrielino had a packed schedule with the football season and Homecoming. The team went through rigorous dancing routines to get fully prepped for football. 

“We do a lot of extreme dance moves, especially a long dance that’s hard to memorize,” reported senior Scarlet Gillings. “We’ll also throw up a girl in the air and that’s very tiring too.” 

Practicing in the senior quad is the team’s daily after-school routine. Lots of effort is put into these sessions. 

“There are 90 or 80 cheers we have to memorize and there are 10 dances we memorize. There are also 20 chants that ASB and the crowd also know, so we use those as well,” said Gillings. 

The team has a great environment surrounding them. Each member contributes equally to making their cheers whole. From seniors to freshmen, the team has excellent comradery.

“Our upperclassmen are teaching us a lot. It’s really helpful and I think it helps us build our connection.” explained freshman Lylah Teraoka. “It’s a team, so they just try to help everyone they can. I personally think practices are fun because everyone on the team is nice and really great to be around.”

Even if their practices are tough, the team has fun doing their sessions. Each practice brings the team closer, it helps boost the bond the team has, and strengthens their performance for games.

Their tough practices pay off. Every sports game, the cheer team encourages the crowd to cheer on, boosting the morale of the players and making each game an exciting experience.

“When we cheer, we get really into it. When it’s at a tie, or it’s one touchdown and [our team is] winning, we don’t even care about standing on our boxes and we hop in the sidelines. We scream their names and get really passionate.” stated Gillings enthusiastically.

The team has a great effect on the audience, allowing them to realize they are not just there to watch the football players, they are there to watch the Eagles. They are there to watch the Eagles win against the opposing team.

“The cheer team really makes the football games feel more like a social event. I’m not the biggest on football myself, but the energy the cheer team creates makes me feel like I’m a part of all the enthusiasm that’s going on around me.” stated freshman Natalie Chea.

The team now has to prepare for the upcoming basketball season by learning new dances and cheers. “The returners are currently teaching us the cheers for basketball,” stated Teraoka. “I’m looking forward to cheering for a new sport along with the new cheers we’re currently getting taught.”

Taking time in November to practice and learn new stunts and dances that basketball requires is crucial for the whole group. The team looks forward to cheering for basketball and getting the crowd enthusiastic in future games in December. They hope to boost the morale of the basketball players the same way they did with football.