Volleyball team aces league, CIF

By Kaylee Chan | Editor in Chief

Bren Belmonte | Tongva Times
BUMP, SET, SPIKE  Gigi Gonazales preparing to return the ball against the South El Monte Eagles girls volleyball team at the Oct. 6 home game.

On Oct. 13, the Gabrielino High School girls volleyball team scored a victory at an away game against El Monte High School, 3-0. It was their last league game, bringing their record to 12-0 in league and 19-7 overall.

“[The game] against El Monte was alright, we didn’t really play the best we could have, but it worked out with the win,” said player Kay Lee, junior.

On Oct. 21, the girls volleyball team participated in the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) program, where high school teams are placed in divisions to compete against each other. They played in Division 5, which has many other skilled competitors.

Player Kate Hamamoto, sophomore, was cautiously optimistic about their chances going into the tournament. “In the past, [Gabrielino has] had a strong program. I think we have potential to compete against Division 5 teams. We just have to seize it,” she said.

The team also played a non-league game against Temple City High School on Oct. 15. It was their first time playing against Temple City this season.

During the season, the team practiced almost every weekday they did not have games, often for several hours. They practiced receiving serves, getting reps, and working under pressure.

“I’m proud of the commitment I’ve put in,” said player Connie Yuan, senior. “It’s varsity, so we really need to put in the effort.”

On Oct. 11, the team played Maranatha High School and lost 3-1. While they established an early lead by winning the first set, they narrowly gave up the next three.

Despite these losses, the players maintained a good attitude. “[My main mindset is] trying to play with confidence,” said player Jessica Succonga, junior. “Volleyball is definitely a mind game. I try to stay positive and not bring the energy down.”

Gabrielino beat Mountain View High School on Oct. 8, 3-0.

The game fell on Senior Night, which commemorates seniors on the team in the last home game of their high school career. On Senior Night, underclassmen decorate the team room and give gifts as a farewell.

On Oct. 6, Gabrielino won against South El Monte High School, 3-0.

The first set started with El Monte gaining an early lead, however, after a short break at the 36-minute mark, Gabrielino scored eight points in a row to win the set 25-22 They went on to win the next two sets with wide margins.

The volleyball team participated in a tournament on Oct. 2. They won against San Marino High School and Wilson High School, but lost to San Dimas High School and Ayala High School.

On Oct. 1, Gabrielino secured a victory over Arroyo High School, 3-1. Though giving up the third set to Arroyo, they pulled off a win.

“I’m really proud of how our team has developed and bonded over the season,” said Succonga.