Gabrielino athletes work towards CIF

By Ashley Voong | Staff Writer

Girls swim captain Daniela Acosta, senior.
Photo courtesy of Daniela Acosta

Over a year ago, being able to compete in sports was something many athletes took for granted. This season, with a newfound perspective, Gabrielino High School athletes prepare for their return to competition in hopes of advancing to the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) playoffs.

“I’m just really excited to be able to see everyone again,” told senior girls swim captain Daniela Acosta. “The main goal is just to have fun and take advantage of our time in the pool.”

Gabrielino’s swim team is preparing for competitions under safety protocols with biweekly one-hour practices in four different groups of 12 swimmers. Although it has been a difficult adjustment, Gabrielino swimmers persevered as they won their first meet against Montebello High School on April 14. As the season progresses, they plan to stay focused.

“Mark Keppel is definitely the team to look out for this year,” stated senior boys swim captain Andrew Ngo. “They have always been our biggest competition and this year, they were moved up to race in CIF Division I. This means we have to work even harder.”

Boys swim captain Andrew Ngo senior.
Photo courtesy of Andrew Ngo
Baseball captain Nicolas Castillo, senior.
Photo courtesy of Nicolas Castillo

With limited time, athletes are finding time to train on their own outside of team practices.

Senior baseball player Nicolas Castillo explained, “Since I have a batting cage in my backyard, I try to get as much practice as I can on my own time to prepare for games.” 

For outdoor and limited-contact sports such as baseball, softball, soccer, and golf; daily practices are allowed under the reinforcement of staying distanced and wearing masks.

“At the range, we are separated by stalls anyways so not much has changed due to COVID,” said senior girls golf captain Madeline Tao. “We are also practicing three times a week and getting down to play the course as much as possible so hopefully this season will be as successful as our past seasons.”

Girls golf captain Madeline Tao, senior.
Photo courtesy of Madeline Tao
Girls soccer captain Haley Mo’okini, junior.
Photo courtesy of Haley Mo’okini

Girls soccer, training two hours every day, continues to thrive as they uphold their undefeated title in the Mission Valley League.

“After winning CIF last year, we worked really hard to get in the division we are [in] now so I am excited to see how it goes,” stated junior girls soccer player Haley Mo’okini. “For now, as a team, we all have one goal in mind and are giving our all at practices to achieve that goal.”

Boys soccer, holding the same mindset, attempt to achieve their goal with two hours of daily practice consisting of drills and game review sessions.

“I think we have a great chance of making CIF this season as long as we all keep working together and stay committed,” said senior boys soccer captain Willtur Cho.

As these Gabrielino sports teams train hard to prepare for future league matches in hopes of a successful season resulting in a spot to compete in the CIF playoffs, football season came to an end after they played their last match on April 17 against Santa Monica High School.

“This was a great season,” said senior football captain Ivan He. “Although two of our games didn’t go the way we expected, we still gave it our all. I am leaving with no regrets and I expect great results in the future of our team as we got a lot of promising potential within all the younger football players.”