Outdoor sports return to campus

By Ashley Sanchez | Staff Writer

Senior Faith Lee practices long-jump in the Gabrielino sand pit.
Photo by Chloe Morales | Tongva Times

After hours of meetings, waiting, and training, Gabrielino High School eases into a sense of normalcy with the return of sports. 

In early February, a Zoom webinar informed Gabrielino parents of the different phases that the school would follow to bring back sports teams this year. 

The return of sports consists of three phases, the more progress Gabrielino makes, the more student athletes can participate in practice. As of this month, the sports that are approved to practice are track and field, softball, baseball, golf, football, cross country, and boys volleyball. 

The process for a student athlete to be cleared to play is complicated. The athlete has to get a physical and complete a full medical history questionnaire, ensuring that they have not been exposed to COVID-19.

Once the clearance is finished online, it is then approved by the athletic department through an email so that the student can attend practice.

Cross country Coach Edith Gonzalez explained the protocols stating, “There is a 10:1 athlete to coach ratio; screening questions and temperatures taken before entering the practice area; student-completed warm-ups; dynamic drills; and cool down stretches eight feet apart [with] masks required.”

Cross country runner and soccer player Sophia Chavez, junior, looks forward to being amongst her teammates once again. 

“It’s been a while since we’ve been together in that setting and I’m excited to get back at it,” stated Chavez. “[But] I’m hesitant to be physical and actually have to touch other players because of COVID.” 

While the physical aspects of contact sports are a concern, according to the return-to-play phases, it is the responsibility of the students to ensure that they remain safe outside of sports so as not to spread the coronavirus. 

“Our team is significantly smaller this season, and with El Monte Joint Union cancelling their fall sports, we don’t really have a league to compete in,” Gonzalez said. “That being said, my goal for the athletes is to be able to compete and set personal records or improvements.”

Most coaches are excited to see their students back in practice, having fun with their peers and playing the sports that they love.

Steve Swanson, boys golf coach, stated, “I am looking forward to the kids having a chance to enjoy themselves and be around other athletes in an outdoor and safe environment. The goals are the same as all the years I have coached the golf team, for the golfers to have fun and compete to their best ability.”

Amidst the hardship many students are going through due to the loss of half of their high school experience, the return of sports is a big win for Gabrielino and brings hope for the new year. 

Football coach Lorenzo Mena said, “I want to give [the students] all something to remember. Lots of schools in the area don’t have the opportunity to play. We are extremely honored to be out there.”