Laying a solid foundation

Roy Kwon

While most high school students could barely manage one job, senior Kevin Vargas is handling not one, but two jobs during.

“The two jobs I currently have are both related to construction work. For one of them I am a maintenance technician and welder, while the other I do stucco, which is an exterior finish,” Vargas explained.

His work in construction requires him to handle a variety of tasks.

For his first job, he works for a company called Premium Windows and is a maintenance technician and welder, where he is given the task of preventative maintenance or fixing machines which may consist of calibrating a specific task, realignment, electrical, or pneumatic problems. His job also includes welding and fabricating racks for materials on machines.

His second job as an exterior finisher consists of him making and sometimes taking the mud, formally called stucco, to his coworkers plastering the walls which at times, can be up to 40 feet above ground. He also helps spread if the mud is setting too fast in order to help his co-workers catch up.

After receiving a job position, many jobs require basic training to help bring the new recruit up to the current level of the other workers. Vargas received his basic training a little differently.

“I have never had formal training so it’s all being taught to me on the go, or somethings are just first nature to me being mechanically oriented,” stated Vargas.

Vargas once struggled with time management and balancing his academic work in his very first job at a hardware store, but has not had a problem with his current jobs.

“When I worked at the hardware store, I would be fatigued and tired at the end of the weekend and I wouldn’t have any time to rest,” explained Vargas. “Now it isn’t a problem being that I am not under the pressure of having a set work schedule.”

Vargas also keeps good relations with his co-workers because it is an important aspect to his job. Due to dangers that construction presents, knowing that the people surrounding him are reliable makes the job safer.

Vargas expressed, “I love them all and there is a special companionship that develops out of working under stress that builds one trust with one another.”  

In the future, Vargas hopes that his part-time job leads to his goal to become a general contractor specializing in residential and commercial carpentry.