Gochez, dedicated to her presidential duties

By Roy Kwon

The busy bodies of students that flood the hall of Gabrielino high school, struggle, squirm, and push their way into the ever so crowded gymnasium. The students wait attentively with bodies packed tightly together like a can of sardines, in the hot, stuffy gym for the sports rally that awaits them.

All students attend these rallies but, some may not be aware of who or what is behind these event. The Associated Student Body or better known as ASB, is the fuel that organizes these events. In ASB, the main decisions for important activities stem from the sophomore, junior, and senior class presidents.

Junior Class President, Kayla Gochez, helps to the planning of events like the rallys. Her participation ranges from making posters to decorating the gym. Aside from rally planning, Gochez’s also organizes quad activities and plans for prom.

“The qualities that are important for this position is the ability to handle pressure and numerous responsibilities,” states Gochez. “Being determined and passionate about what you’re doing is crucial. If you did not care about something you were doing the outcome won’t be successful.”

Nothing comes without challenges and taking on the role for class president is definitely a challenge. To run for the position of president and be one, it would ask for a lot of the time the person has. Although there are hardships that come along with the position, Gochez stepped up to the challenge.

“I ran for Junior President because I wanted to take up the challenges of being class president. I’ve been apart of ASB since sophomore year and I really felt intrigued in running for a bigger position,” Gochez explains. “ I knew taking on this role would be stressful but it would further prepare me for the real world and help me learn to manage my time.”

Although being class president comes with many responsibilities, the burden is not placed on one person. Gochez has Junior Vice President Lopez to help lessen the load as well as the other members of ASB.   

“Being President means so much to me. I am appreciative that I was chosen to run this position. It means a lot to me because I am relied on and there is definitely pressures to this position but it makes me cherish it even more,” says Gochez.