Gabrielino High School hosts annual Winter Sports Rally

By Chloe Law

On Jan. 11, Gabrielino High School hosted its annual Winter Sports Rally in the school’s Large Gym.

This year, the theme of the rally was “Harry Potter” which was reflected by banners portraying the different Houses of Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin featured in the series. Members of ASB were dressed in attire worn by characters as they performed various skits with props that resembled items such as wands from the fiction novels.

Per tradition, the rally honored the sports that are currently in season. Varsity members of the soccer, wrestling, and basketball team were invited to walk in the rally.

“Walking in the rally makes me feel empowered and happy, especially because it’s alongside my teammates,” stated Co-Captain of the girls soccer team Olivia Koyama, senior. “It’s always a nice way to end our season.”

Stencils of basketballs, soccer balls, and wrestling uniforms made with the names of each athletes were scattered against the walls of the gym. A video was also made for the sports, depicting an inside perspective of each team’s dynamics, practice sessions, and games.

All decorations and preparations for the pep rally were planned, executed, and managed by members of ASB as well as ASB Advisor, Yvonne Aparicio. ASB President Amanda Holguin and Wellness Commissioner Amanda Brunjes took over the microphone at the rally.

Members of the year-round cheer squad were also recognized for past and upcoming successes during the rally. The cheer team performed two of their pieces from games and competitions for students and staff members present at the rally.

Gabrielino’s Unplugged club led by advisor Eric Hoenigmann also made an appearance with two pieces executed by various members of the club. Senior Melena Lopez was the lead singer for “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele. While Nicolas Castillo and Mariana Lopez led the performance for “Little Talks” by Of Monsters and Men.

Unfortunately, due to the delay in schedule caused by the crowd, the highly anticipated performance by K Club, a club dedicated to Korean entertainment, was unable to perform at the rally. Their performance was moved to the quad for the duration of lunch.

“It was an interesting turn of events, but it was still a great experience,” stated Ethan Wu, junior.

K Club presented a piece inspired from popular Korean pop band Stray Kids and their song “The Pace.”

Aside from performances from cheer, Unplugged, ASB, and K Club, the rally promoted school spirit through class competitions such as class cheers.

“Rallies promote school spirit by supporting the students in our school,” explained Holguin. “School spirit is important because it encourages involvement and pride in our work, and we have a lot to be proud of.”