CIF Basketball

By Jasmine Lam

For the first time in GHS history, the girls varsity basketball team advanced to the quarterfinal round of the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) championships. The Lady Eagles played the against Foothill Technology High School Dragons.

The Dragons scored immediately after the first quarter started, but their offense was met with a layup from the Lady Eagles. With three minutes left in the first quarter, senior Amanda Lee stole the ball, which led to another layup and a foul called on the Dragons. The first quarter ended, 7-17.

During the second quarter, the Lady Eagles struggled to even the score. With seven seconds left in the quarter, Lee managed to sink a three pointer nearly three feet away from the three point line. The crowd immediately started cheering, and the second quarter ended, 14-26.

Once third quarter started, the Lady Eagles came back with renewed energy and scored four points within 30 seconds of the quarter.

“All of us in that room realized that those 16 minutes could be the last 16 minutes of our season,” stated sophomore Amanda Brunjes, “and if that was the case, we were going to make them count,”    

In the fourth quarter, the Lady Eagles continued to push and managed to bring the score difference down to nine points, but as time ran out, the Lady Eagles fell to Foothill, ending their CIF run, 46-59.

On Feb. 17, the Lady Eagles played against Don Lugo High School in their second round of CIF and won, 58-44.

The girls were able to have the upperhand the whole night, playing against Don Lugo with a tight defense.

On Feb. 15, the Lady Eagles started their first round of CIF and went up against the San Dimas Saints. The team won the game, 63-45.

The Lady Eagles ended their league season with a 12-0 overall league record, making them undefeated in their league.

On Feb. 14, the boys varsity basketball team went to Rialto High School for the CIF championships and fell to the Rialto Knights, 54-81.

In the first quarter, the Knights played an aggressive offense, scoring within the first two minutes. The Eagles were able to score as well but fell short, 8-19.

During the second quarter, senior Aaron Van intercepted the ball, scoring another two points for Gabrielino, 16-33.

As halftime came to an end, the Eagles came back with energy in the third quarter, 30-68.

Towards the end of fourth quarter, with the help of senior Reisandy Lamdjani, the Eagles were able to steal the ball from the Knights, and the ball was passed to Van for a layup, 52-79.

Although they lost to the Knights, the Eagles did not give up and played a hard defense until the end.

The boys’ ended their season with an overall league record of 5-7.