Bay Island Cafe is more than a cafe

By Christopher Lung

World Editor

Imagine a colossal 26-ounce cup of any flavored tea or milk tea that only costs $1.99. 

It is difficult, but the bargain can be found at Bay Island Cafe in Rosemead. Located in the plaza near Walnut Grove Avenue and Valley Boulevard, this Cantonese restaurant offers the $1.99 promotion on any drink if a “specials” is ordered, which is essentially any item on the menu. The promotion also includes an option to upgrade to an even larger 36-ounce cup for 75 cents, and certain beverages like lemon tea have free refills. This all-day deal draws many customers, whether they dine-in or takeout, to order drinks every time they come here.

The first time I arrived, I was astounded by how spacious and vibrant the front of the restaurant looked. It had a fountain spewing water and adequate seats to enjoy the green plants and palm trees while waiting. This tranquil and airy atmosphere carried over to the inside, where the contemporary pop music on the radio and the cozy yet uncluttered seating filled the room. The customer service was exceptional, as the employees politely tended to my needs.

My family and I enjoy eating here because of the wide selection of food, large portions, and high quality of Chinese dishes available. The menu includes fried rice, vermicelli, noodle soup, porridge, hot pots, and other comfort food specialties. The average price of the dishes ranges from seven to ten dollars, but it is still relatively inexpensive considering the taste and immense quantity of food served. Although Yelp gives this restaurant two dollar signs for the price, I believe that the restaurant’s pricings are justifiable, especially when coupled with the drink promotion.

Since I have already eaten here several times, I usually order my favorite: Singapore-style pan fried rice vermicelli. When I bite into the firm noodles, I am instantly transported to an alternate universe, with each taste of the snappy shrimp, salty spam, spicy onions, crunchy bean sprouts, and colorful bell peppers making me even happier. In other words, the dish is simply delicious because of the perfect harmony of the curry spice, noodles, vegetables, and meat. The dinner portion is so large that it is almost impossible to finish it by myself.

And that is only the beginning. I always order matcha milk tea with boba, which beautifully complements the savory dish because the chewy tapioca pearls and appropriate sweetness and silkiness of the green tea powder enhances the flavor of the main dish.

The only downside I noticed was the 15 to 20 minute wait around noontime and dinner hours, particularly on the weekend. The restaurant also shares a parking lot with other boutiques and restaurants like McDonald’s, so finding parking can be a mild pain sometimes.

I would definitely return to this place in the near future and it is a solid recommendation for anyone who likes inexpensive, high quality drinks and Chinese food in a spacious atmosphere.

The restaurant opens seven days a week from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. The address is 3927 Walnut Grove Ave #115, Rosemead, CA 91770.