Aesthetic of a staff member
Aesthetic of a staff member
Staff • June 4, 2024
End of school year sports recap
Bren Belmonte, Staff Writer • May 30, 2024

“We’re not just a volleyball team, we’re a volleyball family”: boys volleyball remains dedicated as their season concludes

Bren Belmonte
Boy’s volleyball team poses for photos.

The boy’s varsity volleyball team exemplifies the core values of Gabrielino: Pride, Tradition, and Honor. Following an undefeated journey to clinch the Mission Valley Championship, the Eagles showcased their diligent mindset and athletic prowess at the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF). 

The team was ecstatic at the chance to compete at a higher level, determined to seize any opportunity presented. 

After a persistent match, the Eagles emerged victorious with a 3-0 score against Garey High School, advancing them to their second game against the Don Lugo High School Conquistadors.

The Conquistadors proved to be a problematic opponent as they took the lead while Gabrielino had only secured one set. Relentless spikes and systematic blocks were not enough to clear this obstacle, resulting in a loss against Lugo, 3-1. 

Senior Aidan Wong, captain, stated, “Even though we knew it was going to be a tough game, we went in with the mentality as if it was any other team.”

According to junior James Gonzalez Valencia, who played opposite hitter, the main challenge of going against Don Lugo was the other team’s blockers.

Wong agreed, reflecting on the difficult challenge of trying to “hit through their massive block.” 

Chance Chen (12) goes for a spike. (Bren Belmonte)

In addition to facing blockers, Gabrielino was also challenged by Don Lugo’s players’ physical advantages of being taller.

“Screw what they looked like, we couldn’t care less about their appearance,” said senior Trevor Wang.

Wang was a rookie to volleyball, embarking on his first year competing for the Eagles. His fearless attitude towards his competition highlights the determination of every player on the team, even in the face of adversity.

Though this game signaled the end of Gabrielino’s season, the Eagles concluded with an impressive record of 10-0 in league, 5-2 during the pre-season, and first place at the Silver Division Bellflower Tournament.

Despite the loss against Don Lugo, the team grew increasingly close, working to perfect their teamwork and exchanging promises to stay committed.

The tight bonds that the boys established throughout the season were a large contributor to the success of the team. Players must be able to adjust rapidly and communicate effectively, on or off the court. As the team says goodbye to 11 seniors, they have pledged to remain united, bound not only by an everlasting passion for the game but by the bonds forged from conquering barriers. 

“The boys have grown to love and support each other,” expressed head coach Cory Ishida. “We have a philosophy that we’re not just a volleyball team, we’re a volleyball family.”