Drop-in tutoring services help students ease back into in-person instruction, academics

By Ashley Sanchez | Production Chief

TUTORING CENTER  Linda Ho’s math drop-in center bustles with tutors assisting students of all grade levels and in all math subjects.

As students eased back into campus, the transition into in person classes has been difficult for many, but not discouraging in light of recent additions to the Gabrielino campus. Amongst the implementation of Embedded Time every Tuesday and Thursday, silver slipping into classes has taken another level of helping students with drop-in tutoring services. 

Lovelyn Chang hosts English Language Development (ELD) tutoring in her classroom. English teacher Marguerita Drew oversees the English & Literature drop-in center in B141. Geometry and calculus teacher Linda Ho runs the math tutoring center in her classroom. And, chemistry teacher Chanda Strom manages the science tutoring center. 

In these spaces, student tutors who have excelled in these subjects work one-on-one with students to solve math problems, improve their writing, help with college applications, and implement new study habits. 

Senior Sherly Wang, ELD student tutor, first became interested in becoming a tutor after being an ELD student herself. 

Wang explained, “Knowing how hard it is to learn a new language, I was encouraged to help ELD students just like me while giving them support and motivation.”

While it being Wang’s first time tutoring, it did not discourage her from taking advantage of the opportunity when she, from personal exprience, knew the effort and dedication many ELD students exude in their one on one tutoring sessions to succeed in their classes. 

“My favorite aspect of tutoring comes from the tutors,” avidly explained senior English tutor Michelle Li. “When they have that moment of realization, when a concept finally clicks and the joy of knowing that I helped them understand.”

A common struggle for many students within English is making a clear connection to the prompt. Li, as a tutor, encourages students to develop structural outlines that help students format their concepts better. Complex subjects such as biology and anatomy are examples where guidance has also been key to tutorees success within the classroom.

Senior science tutor Helen Benitez stated, “Breaking down lessons in biology requires a lot of memorization and connecting the pieces together, I advise students to draw physical diagrams which allows them to visualize these concepts.”

Students are given the opportunity to utilize their time in studying for subjects they may typically struggle with under the guidance of both students and teachers. Since the incorporation of google forms for silver slips, the accessibility of the service has helped students greatly. 

Students are given the opportunity to collaborate with their peers. These classes have become a community in which Gabrielino students can be productive. 

Math tutor Alton Law, senior, stated, “I want the students to be able to use math outside of school. It is rewarding when you see the ‘aha’ moment in their eyes, when they finally understand the concept.”