Aesthetic of a staff member
Aesthetic of a staff member
Staff • June 4, 2024
End of school year sports recap
Bren Belmonte, Staff Writer • May 30, 2024

Senior activities send off class of 2024

The+senior+sunset+marks+the+coming+end+of+the+school+year+and+the+high+school+experience.+Seniors+were+able+to+participate+in+a+plethora+of+activities+throughout+the+month+of+May.+
Brian Ly
The senior sunset marks the coming end of the school year and the high school experience. Seniors were able to participate in a plethora of activities throughout the month of May.
Seniors were handed cookies for being accepted to college, with a variety of choices like chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin. (Bren Belmonte)

Acceptance Cookies – May 17

At lunch, the Associated Student Body (ASB) offered free cookies in the Quad to seniors who were accepted into college. After the students stood in line to get checked in, they were presented with dozens of boxes of chocolate chips, white chocolate, and oatmeal raisin cookies. ASB members handed each senior one cookie of their choice.

Seniors begin to draw the names of their future schools at the quad. (Brian Ly)

Chalk Day – May 22

ASB offered seniors chalk to draw the name of their future college or other post-secondary options, such as the military. Students received a piece of chalk in exchange for their student ID, which was returned at the end of the activity. Students were given the quad space to collaborate on drawing images like their future school name and mascot. 

Rejection Ice Cream – May 24

Similar to Acceptance Cookies, ASB handed out free ice cream products at lunch for seniors who were rejected from college. The students checked in with a rejection letter if needed and were given a choice of an ice cream sandwich, Haagen-Dazs ice cream bar, or Haagen-Dazs cookie cone.

Senior sunset was held at the bleachers, where seniors were allowed to play on the field and spend the day with their cohort. (Brian Ly)

Senior Sunset – May 24

From 5 p.m to 7 p.m, ASB hosted the annual Senior Sunset at Gabrielino. Students were allowed to sit up on the bleachers or play on the football field while they waited for the sun to set. The event featured the movie “High School Musical 3” and snacks for seniors, along with paper caps made by Roosevelt Elementary School students. Following the sunset and the end of the event, ASB took a large panoramic photo of the attendees. 

Balloon Release – May 30

At lunch, the seniors will be given a balloon and gather in the Quad. ASB will play an upbeat song that represents the class of 2024 on the speakers, and at the first chorus or major beat drop, the seniors will all release their balloons and watch them fly away. Seniors submitted their requests for the song that plays at Balloon Release and ASB selected it. The ceremony is meant to represent letting go of their high school life and flying free into adulthood.

Senior Awards Night – May 30

From 7 p.m to 9 p.m, seniors who were invited to the Senior Awards Night will receive recognition for their achievements and work at Gabrielino. Students are encouraged to attend with family. Seniors will also be receiving their cords and sashes that Gabrielino sanctions to wear at graduation during this event. 

Grad Bash – May 31

To round off their last day of school, seniors who bought a ticket for Grad Bash will board buses to Universal Studios Hollywood at 12:30 p.m. They will depart at 1 p.m. and spend the night going on rides, taking pictures, and dancing at parties hosted by DJs around the Park. The students will head back to Gabrielino at 2 a.m., to be picked up at 3 a.m.