Aesthetic of a staff member
Aesthetic of a staff member
Staff • June 4, 2024
End of school year sports recap
Bren Belmonte, Staff Writer • May 30, 2024

Tteokbokki Overruns Gabrielino’s 2024 Food Faire

Gabrielino High School’s iconic boba sales, orchestrated by the Associated Student Body (ASB), found themselves in the shadow of the notorious Costco Chicken Bakes and Esquites during the highly anticipated Food Faire. The quad buzzed excitedly as a crowd of students and teachers gathered around foldable tables decorated with hand-made posters, creating a flavorful atmosphere.

“A GAB cultural thing, our tradition,” emphasized Ethan Tang, sophomore in charge of organizing club events in ASB.

Amanda Wang (11) and Kara Mak (11) divulge in Hispanic culture by presenting Esquites to Food Faire. Junior Class Council Esquite Booth. (Bren Belmonte)

Known to fall on the second of February of every school year, ASB meticulously plans to create a successful timeline and ensure fundraiser forms are in order. The event consistently impresses with its array of food cultures, ranging from the Chinese grass jelly to the comforting ‘walking tacos.’

This year, however, a newcomer stole the spotlight and sold out quickly: Tteokbokki. The credit for this newfound craze goes to Sherelene Guo, the leader of Gabrielino’s K-pop club. The club’s influence and enthusiasm sparked widespread attention for this chewy Korean dish.

“This is actually fire,” proclaimed a group of boys indulging in K-Pop’s Tteokbokki, words joyfully acknowledged by Guo herself.

The idea to introduce Tteokbokki to the food faire was a consecutive decision within the club, seeking something enjoyable from Korean culture. Portion posed an issue but was quickly overlooked due to the affordable price, enticing many to return for more.

As the lines grew disorganized and hunger took center stage, the vibrant mix of cultures showcased the unity of Gabrielino eagles. Food Faire not only satisfied appetites but also served as a platform for students to share their cultural interests from a passionate culinary viewpoint.

Allyson Kim (11), and Paris Ngeam (12) prep nachos while Maya Katz (11), enhances her customer service skills. (Bren Belmonte)

Despite the success that our Costco Chicken Bakes typically receive, the leader of the ESports Club,  senior Justin Truong,, wasn’t entirely impressed with their Food Faire experience. Throughout the event, miscommunications created obstacles for Truong and his club, preventing them from shining as brightly as they believed they could. Despite concerns about the quantity and raised prices, ESports Club managed to strive above expectations and sold out quickly.

“I want to redo the Food Faire because I know we can sell way more,” Truong spoke ambitiously.

The event witnessed a blend of various clubs, along with participation from our basketball teams, baseball, boys volleyball, and cheer sports teams. This collaborative effort further emphasized the strong sense of community and school spirit at Gabrielino High School.