Boys volleyball perseveres, despite losing streak

Bren Belmonte
QUICK HITS  Senior Johnny Taing and junior Nathan Huang jump up to hit a volleyball over the net in a game against San Marino High School at the big gym, as a San Marino player reaches to intercept it.

By Jayden Tran | Staff Writer 

The Gabrielino High School boys volleyball team will play a non-league game against North Torrance High School on April 6. The game will be away in Torrance.

This will be Gabrielino’s first time facing off North Torrance in a volleyball match. 

Yesterday, the volleyball team played a home game against Monrovia High School. Scores were unavailable at press time.

On Tuesday, the team played a home game against South Pasadena High School. Scores were also unavailable at press time. 

Before their game against South Pasadena, Gabrielino faced off against Temple City High School at an away game on March 17. The game ended up as a loss for the Eagles, 3-1.

“It was an intense game,” stated freshman Aaron Chen, “but we still lost, which is unfortunate.”

The team was determined to win, but they ended up losing the first set, 14-25.

After some briefing by Coach Allison Carey-Oliver, they managed to gain a lead during the second set. They kept their lead and won, 25-16.

“I’m really proud of our guys,” Carrey-Oliver said, “I think Nathan Truong, our setter, he’s matured beyond years, I’m really proud of how far our guys have come.”

The second set started with Temple City leading, but Gabrielino managed to make a comeback. The team worked together and successfully scored a set, making the game tied, 1-1. 

Sophomore Nathan Truong expressed his opinions on his team, stating, “I think we’re a pretty close team. We all trust each other. The most valuable player, in my eyes, [is] definitely Johnny Tang.”

Temple City went on to win the third set and the game, 2-1.

“The refs were really bad this game,” Truong said. “I feel like they were one of the reasons we lost.”

Continuing their game, the match was tied, 24-24, but in the end, Temple City managed to win the third set, winning them the game. 

“We didn’t play to the best of our abilities,” stated Truong, “We could’ve done a better job in passing, serving and receiving, and hitting balls to the [correct] spots.”

Before their game with Temple City, the Eagles went up against San Marino High School in a home league game on March 15 which they lost, 1-3. Prior to that, Gabrielino faced off in an away league game against La Canada High School on March 10, with La Canada winning, 3-0.

Two days before that, Gabrielino participated in an away league game against Monrovia High School on March 8. Gabrielino lost the game, 1-3.

Five days prior, Gabrielino lost against San Gabriel High School in an away, non-league game on March 3, 3-1.

Despite these losses, Coach Carrey-Oliver wanted players to “compete, always compete.”

The Eagles beat Alhambra High School, 3-1, in an away, non-league game on March 1.