Screamin’ Eagles compete in National Qualifiers, move onto championships

By Brian Ly | Staff Writer

The Gabrielino Screamin’ Eagles National Qualifier team meets in between rounds.
Photo courtesy of Bianca Lua

On the weekends of Feb. 15 and Mar. 8, the Gabrielino Speech and Debate team, the Screamin’ Eagles, competed in the online National Qualifier tournaments. Students who placed in the top four in any of the eight Speech events or the Policy Debate event were qualified to compete at the National Speech and Debate Association’s (NSDA) National Championships, the largest academic competition in the world. 

There are 101 different areas and districts for Speech in the United States, and each area holds a tournament to determine who is eligible to compete at the National Championship. While tournaments are usually held at schools, Gabrielino students competed online this year to conform to social distancing guidelines.

However, this has not hampered the competitive atmosphere of the tournament. 

“Regular season tournaments work best in person. The students want to be around their peers,” Derek Yuill, Speech and Debate coach, said. “But the qualifying tournaments are just as intense online. The students go into their first round and realize it is much more competitive than any other round one they’ve been in.” 

While the usual league meets can have over 600 students, qualifier tournaments may have less than 150 students competing since schools are expected to send only their very best. 

“It took me a while to get adjusted to the online format, there’s less natural adrenaline, but overall it’s provided new opportunities and skills,” said junior Gabriel Frank-McPheter, who qualified in United States Extemporaneous. “I’m excited to compete alongside my teammates and nationals. I’ll be working hard to do my best!”

Twenty-one Gabrielino students qualified for the National Championships this year, placing in the top four in one of eight Speech events held on Mar. 13. Four Gabrielino students competing in the Policy Debate event qualified for the National Championship on Feb. 20. 

While it may be easy to focus on the downsides of online tournaments when compared to in-person competitions, students have continued to give their all regardless of the new online environment. 

“It would be foolish to not admit that in-person tournaments have this magic created by the adrenaline of walking into a competition room and sitting patiently to put on a show,” stated senior Bianca Lua, a Gabrielino Speech captain who qualified in Program Oral Interpretation. “But [the] Gab Speech [team] has this powerful way of still staying bonded and making all tournaments memorable.”