Get to know Guzman, new assistant principal

Bren Belmonte
ADMINISTRATION ADDITION Michael Guzman, Gabrielino’s new assistant principal, joined the staff adminstration on Feb. 9 and has received a warm welcome from the campus community.

Earlier this month, on Feb. 9, Michael Guzman began working at Gabrielino High School as an assistant principal alongside Vincent Lopez and Anh Ligutom. As one of the most highly rated schools in the entirety of California, it is not simple obtaining a job here at Gabrielino, but Guzman did.

“The opportunity to work at Gabrielino comes once in a lifetime. I saw the opening and just crossed my fingers, and hoped that I would get a call,” explained Guzman.

After graduating from Loyola High School in Los Angeles, Guzman went on to attend Occidental College in Los Angeles and California State University, Los Angeles (CSULA) for his graduate studies. He majored in Diplomacy in World Affairs, with a heavy focus on Latin and Central America. 

Despite not originally attending college to enter the education field as a teacher or school faculty member, Guzman would later go on to work in education for over 30 years. Fulfilling a wide variety of roles within different schools, he also worked at two other districts before eventually coming to San Gabriel Unified School District.

“I am a credentialed teacher in social studies and mathematics,” Guzman stated. “I have also coached many sports, but I enjoy basketball probably the most. I am also a basketball official.”

Guzman has a great number of tasks to do everyday with a demanding schedule and unending amounts of work to complete.

“As an assistant principal there are many tasks to be completed on a daily basis. The number one priority is school safety. There are many meetings to attend and people to meet,” Guzman explained. “The spring semester is time for testing: ELPAC, AP, CAASPP etc. Organization and execution are very important. We are also preparing for summer school and budget development for the 2023-2024 school year.”

Even when swamped with duties from morning to evening, Guzman always has the time for the students.

Guzman states, “I am having a great time, learning the ins-and-outs of the school’s culture.”

The school’s welcoming and polite scholars and faculty have made Guzman look forward to being an Eagle and working with others.

“I am so excited to be here at Gabrielino. There are so many amazing people working and learning here.” Guzman said with a smile. “I am happy to be a part of it and look forward to growing and learning as an educator.”