Martinez lives life through his lens

By Ashley Lau | Staff Writer

Photo courtesy of Gabriel Martinez

Some may be surprised to learn that many Gabrielino High School students have started professional projects and their own small businesses. Senior Gabriel Martinez is one of these students. He is a photographer and, for the past three years, has been primarily focused on shooting landscapes and portraits – for a fee.

When he started doing photography, all Martinez knew was that he wanted to turn what he loved into a potential business. He was able to do so after learning the process of taking and editing portrait photos, while still indulging his creative side.

“It’s not just one day you think about it and the next day nothing,” explained Martinez. “[This business] takes a lot of work to get things in order and have something in front of you.” Martinez added, “You need to be able to show people your work and not just say ‘I have this, pay me.’” 

Martinez charges 50 dollars for five photos, including editing. The photos are transferred to a USB flash drive, Google Drive or DropBox, then shipped to customers via the Postal Service or UPS.

Amidst the COVID-19 outbreak, it has become harder for business owners to stay motivated, but Martinez found a way to cope with the hard and uncertain times through his photography.

“If I am ever bored, my dad will drive me to the mountains or the beach [to] take some photos,” Martinez explained. “If I see nice weather, I love to go out and shoot. My passion for photography is the whole motivation process that manages to get me going.”

The drive behind Matinez’s business is simple. It is being able to wake up every day knowing that he is among the lucky few that get to follow his passion.

“Once I start making money, other people might call me successful. In my eyes, though,” Martinez smiled, “I’m successful because I’m doing what I love and I am not at a point in my life where I have to put things on hold for it.”

Not working a single day because he is doing what he loves, that is how Martinez views his life. Making money is a bonus.

“Be free. Be creative. Be Proud,” Martinez advised. “Whether your passion is photography or designing, just put your personality into it because that’s what sets you apart.”