Return of competitive sports remains in limbo

By James Yang | Staff Writer

The COVID-19 pandemic continues to stall public school sports competitions. At Gabrielino High School, some teams will begin conditioning in preparation for seasons that may not occur.

On Nov. 16, the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) released an official statement postponing all team competition for the coming season due to mandates set by Governor Gavin Newsom and Caliornia Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly.

Despite the lack of certain competition, the volleyball, cross country, and football teams are returning in December for practices and conditioning. Athletes will be under strict social distancing precautions.

During phase one of the return to sports, students must maintain a minimum distance of eight feet and they are not permitted to share any items, such as water bottles or equipment. Athletes are also required to enter the camppus through Gabrielino’s main gate and they may not be accompanied by anyone else.

According to the San Gabriel Teachers Association, COVID-19 testing will not be required or provided for student athletes. However, students will receive temperature checks and questioning regarding virus symptoms when they arrive on campus.

“I feel that as long as we follow the precautions,” stated Lorenzo Mena, track and field coach, “we can create a safe environment for students to participate [in sports].”

For volleyball players, conditioning is optional and students must be cleared through AthleticClearance.com.  

Although cautious, student athletes are staying optimistic and are holding out hope for their season’s possible reopening.

“I think that the conditioning is a good idea to allow athletes to start getting back into shape after the eight-month break,” sophomore Kay Lee, member of the girls volleyball team, said. “It also lets people who want to try out get into the idea of how the sport works and prepares them for when we are able to have tryouts.”

Many coaches are excited to see their athletes get back on the field. After going so long without seeing the students’ faces, it is refreshing to finally meet with them in-person once again. 

Kevin Mcclure, boys volleball coach, stated, “I think anything that helps our kids get back to the normalcy of life would be great. I hate [using Zoom], so being with kids and helping them learn and grow in person is very exciting.”