Bar Celona is a good bet for Spanish cuisine

By Bellefontaine Nhan | Staff Writer

Photo by Belle Nhan

Bar Celona, a restaurant with an extravagant bar and Spanish theme, was the first restaurant I had visited since the COVID-19 lockdown, back in March. I ordered a total of four dishes: garlic mussels, beef rib ravioli, seafood pasta, and Italian panni.

I especially favored the Italian panni, which included bacon, tomatoes and other mouth-watering toppings. The bread was crunchy while the filings were soft and savory.

The garlic mussels were also tasty, as the garlic was cooked to perfection and the mussels themselves were not sandy or salty. When the dish came out, it was still sizzling and the aroma would have made anyone drool right on the spot.

The beef rib ravioli was an interesting take on the common cheese ravioli. The addition of meat made it extra savory and delicious.

The seafood pasta is a common dish that can be found anywhere, however, the taste was different from any other seafood pasta I have had before. The seafood were cooked well and the sauce complimented every part of the dish.

The waiter and waitresses constantly checked on us and would often offer refills for drinks. The staff were overall kind. They were also patient when we were trying to figure out our orders. The staff members were in the proper gear-face masks and facial shields. They also wore gloves.

All dining is outdoors, according to COVID-19 restrictions. The dining area was separated from the street by a barrier. I was not particularly a fan of this setup because it felt dangerous to be so close to moving traffic and also awkward whenever a car has stopped by us because of the traffic light. It felt like I was being watched. I would prefer having a taller barrier, so I wouldn’t have to see the traffic. 

Some advantages were the tents that kept the sun out and plants to make the area much more comfortable. The tables and chairs were made out of wood, creating a warm and homely atmosphere. The tables were spaced out about six feet apart.

Despite being in an area where the pricing of food and products are typically high, Bar Celona’s pricing is reasonable. Dishes are about $15 – $20, and I believe that the quality of the food is worth the price.

Bar Celona 

38 E Colorado Blvd. 

Pasadena, CA 91105

626-405-1000