How to have holiday spirit at home

By Ryan Sieh | Staff Writer

LoveThisPic

‘Tis the season for holiday cheer so don’t let quarantine take that away. Here are some ways to make the upcoming holiday season more lively and enjoyable while celebrating at home.

In November, the radio starts playing Christmas songs. Since music plays a big part during the holiday season, indulge as much as possible. Aside from the radio, one can hear holiday music everywhere, from shopping malls and supermarkets. Enlist a streaming platform at home to get into the holiday groove.

Arguably the most popular and most streamed holiday song in recent years, “All I Want for Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey. This is a great song to enjoy every holiday season. The combination of sleigh bells ringing and Carey’s voice is a blast to hear. There’s an undeniable reason why this is the best song to listen to during the holidays. 

Another festive song to listen to s “Last Christmas” by the pop duo, Wham!. This is a fan-favorite, with a run-time of almost seven minutes. This song can be played on YouTube nonstop, featuring more sounds of sleigh bells ringing. 

Decorating the house with holiday cheer can also lift spirtis while quarantining at home. For example, snowflakes – not real snowflakes, but snowflakes made from paper – can be hung around the home to simulat a white Christmas or winter wonderland. 

To create paper snowflakes, all that is needed is a piece of paper. It can be scratch paper, newspaper, or a shopping bag – anything works as long as it can be folded. First, fold the paper numerous times in horizontal and vertical directions. Then cut slits or shapes into each side using scissors. Once the paper is cut, unfold it and these paper snowflakes can be taped or strung all around the house. 

Gingerbread houses can be assembled and decorated for holiday cheer and they can be built with several members of the family. Buttercream can be used as glue to stick the graham crackers together. Gumdrops, candy canes, and M&M’s can all be used to decorate the gingerbread house. The combination of sweets is a perfect way to celebrate the upcoming festivities and connect with the ones we love. 

Last but not lease, baking and partaking in holiday treats will bring enjoyment to all ages. Hot chocolate and fresh-baked cookies pair well with a holiday movie. Popcorn is both delicious and fun to string for the Christmas tree. And, of course, holiday meals should not be curbed just because of the pandemic. Although large gatherings are being discouraged, families can continue making their traditional dishes, just on a smaller scale.

This holiday season may be different from past years, but with a bunch of fun activities to enjoy with friends and family, it can be festive all the same. Music, arts, crafts, and treats can make the holiday season at home feel very special.