ASB Halloween competitions

By Ashley Lau | Staff Writer

Gabrielino’s Associated Student Body (ASB) has been promoting many events to raise school spirit and help students feel connected while the campus is closed. In october, ASB encouraged Halloween spirit virtually with their annual door decorating competition and costume contest.    

Last year, ASB came up with the idea of Class Clash, a competition whereby each grade level works to earn points for their class and win a trophy at the end of the year. The door-decorating competition happens to be the first Class clash activity of the year.

For this specific event, points are given based on how many entries are submitted from each class. Whichever class has the most participants will earn 100 points, the class with the second-most participants will earn 75 points, the third 50 points, and so on.

The judging is based on three categories: spookiest, best theme, and most creative. ASB members rate each door one through five and then the points are added up to determine the winners.

“The purpose of the contest is just to bring everyone together especially since we’re online now. We want to keep the holiday spirit up!” said Katie Dang, freshman vice president.

This year ASB received many entries, including five from seniors, four from juniors, five from sophomores, one from a freshman, and one from a staff member. 

“We had about six to eight teachers/staff participate last year. While we would have liked more teachers to participate, we felt that it was successful and the decorated doors were quite good,”  stated Edith Gonzalez, the ASB co-advisor. “Whenever students participate, the ASB considers it successful. They just want to provide students an opportunity to connect with school and some of our traditional activities.”   

Since everything had to be done online, ASB worked especially hard to plan and promote the event.

Junior Kaiya Suehiro, a contestant in the door decorating competition, said, “I love getting the opportunity to use my creativity. It’s easier now to become detached from the school community and I think these games are a good way to get involved.”

Door Decorating Competition winners

Fan Favorite/Ghost and Witch dollhouse by Kaiya Suehiro

Most Creative/Lilo and Stitch door by Ashley Uenishi

Best Theme/Coraline door by Trisha Tanaka

Spookiest/Spider web and caution tape porch by Vulena Xiong

Some feel spirit is lacking this year, with the campus being closed. However, with monthly events hosted the by ASB, students have found a way to be more engaged with school.  

“Even though things are very different this year, I really want to make the most out of it,” explained senior Annica Wu. “I think ASB is doing a great job keeping up spirit. I’m excited to see what they have in store for us next!”

ASB’s other October event, the Halloween Costume Contest, will take place in virtually as well. As in the past, teachers will judge the contest but, instead of watching students parade in their costumes, they will view photos that students submit. 

There will be one winner and two runner-ups for the costume contest.

ASB President Kelly Tran, senior, stated, “This year I’m going to dress up for sure. I want to get into the Halooween spirit because this year there’s just been a lot of things to be sad about. Halloween is the best time to just dress up, and have fun for the day.”