Game Review: “Phasmophobia”

By James Yang | Staff Writer

Photo by Kinetic Games

“Phasmophobia” is a horror co-op game that allows up to four players, with the main goal being to collect evidence on a ghost that will try to stop the player with annoyances to prove they are there. The game being co-op means that players are able to cooperate together with friends or others when completing tasks. During the game, players will be haunted by the ghost and it will try to stop them from succeeding. The rating is PG 13. 

There are multiple difficulties that can be played with friends. As players level up they unlock these difficulties, which range from intermediate to professional.

There is not much of a storyline, but the overall feel of the game is progressive because difficulty and variety increases. Usually, without a storyline, there’s not much progression felt, but with “Phasmophobia” it always feels like there is improvement. There’s no scary creatures or demons, it is the player, their friends and the ghost who tries to stop the player from getting enough evidence. The best part is the fact that the game allows up to four players online, meaning partying up with others is an option. 

Although there is only one goal and that is to gather evidence to prove there is a ghost at the location, they offer a wide range of ways to gather this evidence, from taking photos of the ghost itself to finding evidence such as fingerprints or unnatural movement.

With October coming up, there are few better ways to get scared than to play a horror game. For some, the idea of scaring themselves or even just the word horror is something to avoid, but to those with an adventurous and daring mind this is another case. 

Given a massive amount of time to play and enjoy the game, I estimate it has about 100 hours of fun that will stay new for the time being. The game has been out for just a little bit of time but it already has an average of five stars on Steam, while also trending on the Twitch streaming site. 

With the massive amount of content, a question of if it is hard arises. The answer is no. It is a very simple game and the simplicity of it is what makes it so much fun, as well as watching friends freak out. It is a horror/thriller game that is neither too hard nor too easy as the player can switch between difficulties. 

The graphics are quite nice being above average with the lighting and dimming being on point giving the area a very creepy feel. The game feels very clean and so far not many bugs or glitches have been reported. 

With Halloween just around the corner this is the perfect game to play. It costs $13.99 and is on the platform Steam.