Halloween experiences continue despite pandemic

By Brittany Snow | Production Chief 

Photo by Westcoaster

The first case of Covid-19 was reported in late January, and the number of cases have increased since then. With the current pandemic status, event coordinators have adapted drive-throughs as part of the Halloween festivity season.

On its 12 year anniversary, the Los Angeles Haunted Hayride will be held in a different location than past events. Normally held in Griffith Park, the event is being hosted in the Bonelli Regional Park in San Dimas.

“There was just no way to bring cars into the hayride location at Griffith Park. We had to find the right spot, one where we could implement the new drive-up experience and an outdoor environment that gives you the right fall feeling,” stated Jon Cooke, Creative Director told Muse TV.

The drive-up experience opened to the public on Sept. 25, and continues until Sunday. The event is recommended for ages 13 and up. 

“Don’t call it a drive thru, and don’t call it a drive in, it’s a combination of the best parts of both, plus our own spin on things,” stated Thirteenth Floor Entertainment Group, the team behind the popular Halloween-themed happening told NBC News.

The ticket prices vary on the admission type, which also determine the guests’ seating preference during the main event. For standard to VIP options, ranging from $49.99 to $89.99, up to two passengers, while additional tickets, or “backseat passes,” can be purchased for $9.99.

The platinum experience selection allows up to eight guests per vehicle with front row seating. For $199.99, guests also have the option to watch the performance from their own private, stationary hayride trailer adjacent to their parked vehicle, according to the events website.

All ticket options will provide guests access to All Hallows Lane featuring scenic environments familiar to previous attendees.

“You will drive down a creepy stretch of road featuring some of the sets and scenic environments you’ve come to love at the hayride,” the team told NBC News. “Followed by a haunted show featuring an original multimedia story displayed on a 40-foot screen, as well as horrifying sets and live characters from Midnight Falls!”

Guests are recommended to arrive no earlier than 40 minutes in advance, and no-later than 15 minutes prior to their reserved time in order to ensure accommodations for all expected guests. 

West of the well-known Haunted Hayride, Haunt O’Ween LA began in Woodland Hills on Oct. 9, and will continue until tomorrow.

The experience includes driveable mini maze paths, a tunnel featuring one thousand lit pumpkins, a sanitized pumpkin patch station and two rows of residential streets where costumed, masked characters hand out wrapped candy with poles and buckets to safely recreate trick or treating.

According to the events’ website, the intent is to “keep the fun traditions and excitement of Halloween alive in a safe, engaging, interactive & immersive format.”

Ticket prices are $70 per vehicle, and guests of all ages are welcome to attend. With a ticket purchase, guests are guaranteed entree, as well as a complimentary pumpkin, either placed directly in their trunk, or available for pickup at the end of the experience.

“Our kids are facing so many challenges right now, and we didn’t want the pandemic to ruin Halloween! We decided to create something relevant and exciting that could bring the whole L.A. community together,” Experiential Supply Founder and Chief Experience Officer, Jasen Smith told NBC News.

Sponsors include Hershey’s, Kit Kat, Party City, and Reese’s. The event also features a Hulu-sponsored tunnel, based off an FX series, “What We Do in the Shadows.” 

Other popular seasonal events, hosted at Disneyland or the Queen Mary will not be offering a drive-up experience.