Eight spooky movies to watch on Halloween

By Emme Tran | Junior Editor

1. “Coraline”

This critically acclaimed stop-motion film combines a thrilling adventure and chilling visual artistry to create a memorable experience for the viewer. Coraline Jones, an 11-year-old girl, moves into a new house with strange neighbors and discovers a peculiar new world where she finds not all is what it seems. This movie was released on Feb. 5, 2009, and does not fail to terrify viewers years later. “Coraline” is available to stream on Hulu.

2. “The Nightmare Before Christmas”

Conceived by established filmmaker Tim Burton, “The Nightmare Before Christmas” follows Jack Skellington, the pumpkin king of Halloweentown, who discovers Christmas and quickly becomes enamoured with its festivities. Hair-raising shenanigans ensue as Skellington tries to steal Christmas as his own holiday. This movie can be watched on Disney+.

3. “Hocus Pocus”

In a film produced by Walt Disney Studios, a trio of comedic witch-sisters are resurrected by 17-year-old Max Dennison. As the witches wreak havoc, Dennison and his friends must prevent the sisters from sucking the soul out of every child in Salem, Massachusetts before Halloween ends. “Hocus Pocus” is available to view on Disney+.

4. “Beetlejuice” 

Beetlejuice is another horror-comedy film by Tim Burton which follows a recently deceased couple, Barbara and Adam Maitland, trying to scare away the living family who recently moved into the Maitland’s former home. The couple seek out a mischievous spector named Beetlejuice to help them, however he causes much more trouble than they expect. This movie is available to watch on YouTube.

5. “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark”

Adapted in 2019 from short stories anthology of the same name written by Alvin Shwartz,  a group of teenagers steal a deceased woman’s book of scary stories and realize the stories are not as fictitious as they seem. The group races to find a way to dispel the monsters before all of their friends are picked off one by one as each monster from the book comes to life. This movie is available to watch now on Hulu Plus. 

6. “The Others”

This box office success follows a young mother named Grace Stewart who lives with her two children after the events of World War II. She hires strange house servants to fill the vacancies and soon finds mysterious spirit-like beings occupying her home. Viewers are left in a conundrum as they follow Stewart attempting to figure out what is really happening. “The Others” is available for stream with a subscription to HBO Max. 

7. “The Woman in Black”

Shocking jumpscares and a dark Victorian setting are utilized to engage viewers throughout its runtime. Former “Harry Potter” actor Danial Radcliffe stars as the main character, Arthur Kipps, a lawyer who visits the bleak Eel Marsh House and finds that a malevolent entity has been taking children for its own. Kipps works to stop this evil spirit from stealing the lives of any more children, including his own son. “The Woman in Black” can be purchased to watch on Amazon Prime Video. 

8. “The Ring”

As the night progresses, this movie is no doubtedly the eeriest movie to save for last, with its extreme jumpscares and drab film style. The horror classic was released in 2002 as a remake of the Japanese film from 1998. The main protagonist, Rachel Keller, discovers a cursed videotape when trying to figure out how her niece died. As the days pass, she discovers a terrifying secret about the tape. This movie can be streamed through Amazon Prime Video.