Not all heroes wear capes, some use protective gear

By Brittany Snow | Staff Writer

Image by Josh Edelson/Getty Images

The past few months have been one of the most disastrous wildfire seasons in years, causing thousands of firefighters to be dispatched into the field. The majority work tirelessly with little resources and in the midst of great danger to their lives. Because of this, firefighters deserve the highest praise possible as they continue to protect hundreds of homes from fiery disasters.

On average, the state firefighting agency employs up to 5,300 full-time firefighters as well as an additional 1,700 each fire season.  The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection trains prison  inmate firefighters to do similar work. These individuals spend countless hours on the front lines armed with chainsaws and other hand tools used to clear tinder-dry bush and trees, in addition to fire hoses and chemicals, in effort to save lives and structures.

Presently, the Bobcat Fire and El Dorado Fire are burning in Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties. More than 2,000 personnel are working on these wildfires.  The Bobcat Fire began on Sept. 6, and has since burned up to 100,000 acres, according to the City of Monrovia. With such a high acreage, the Bobcat Fire has become one of the largest in Los Angeles County history, according to CNN. 

The El Dorado Fire ignited on Sept. 5, as a result of a “pyrotechnic set off during a gender-reveal photoshoot” in El Dorado Ranch Park, according to the San Bernardino Sun.

Such irresponsibility around a dry and wooded area puts the lives of thousands of first responders at risk. However, they value the lives of the neighborhoods in potential danger more, and spend hours inhaling smoke and ash in hopes of protecting these communities. Yet, their efforts are not always appreciated.

Traditionally, prison inmates could volunteer for firefighting training. They would be dispatched alongside professional firefighters to battle flames. Yes, upon release from prison, these individuals were denied the opportunity to apply for work as firefighters.

This changed on Sept. 11, when California Governor Gavin Newsom signed Bill AB2147, which will allow inmate firefighters to become professional first responders once they have served their prison time. This is a decision that is long overdue, as inmate firefighters have helped battle flames statewide for years. 

Although first responders are sometimes overlooked, the wildfires that torment California each year would be much worse without the brave legion of firefighters – both professional and volunteer – giving their time, effort, and often their lives, in the pursuit of keeping people safe. It is because of their heroic efforts that communities are salvaged from wildfires caused by annual harsh weather conditions or pure irresponsibility. 

During the wildfire season, these first responders work to ensure the safety of every community affected by fire. Their work should be celebrated at every turn.