Disney’s failed attempt at showcasing “Mulan”

By Ashley Lau | Staff Writer

Disney has always managed to bring magic to the big screen, depicting every live action fairy tale beautifully. However, after seeing the reviews of “Mulan”, it’s safe to say that this movie backfired for Disney and their brand. “Mulan” shows that Disney views Chinese culture as simply another means of earning more money, as they put little thought into the cultural accuracy of the script.

Following its release on Sept. 4, “Mulan” received backlash from the public, earning a 2.7 out of five stars on Rotten Tomatoes, an American movie review site.

Many news outlets like The Verge have stated, “‘Mulan’ is the year’s most beautiful let-down.”

In the beginning,“Mulan” seemed to be an inclusive film that gave opportunities for Asian-Americans in the production fiel. However, despite Disney trying to show its inclusivity, no vital crew members behind the scenes were actually Asian-American. 

The International Movie Database (IMDb) clearly shows that the most critical people behind the scenes of “Mulan,” such as the director, script writer, and even the costume designers, were all Caucasian. 

Additionally, the film shows costumes and makeup that do not match the Imperial era of China that “Mulan” is set in. Instead it is a mix of different cultures. This demonstrates the negligence of Disney.

Key characters have been omitted in the new version of the film as well. The animated movie followed a completely different storyline. It featured a dragon named Mushu, which was Mulan’s guardian, and Li Shang, the love interest for Mulan. Neither of these characters were included in the new version.

Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver, Lauren Hynek, and Elizabeth Martin, the writers of the live-action film,  removed these characters to, supposedly, keep the story more realistic. However, this move shocked and disappointed many fans of the animated film. 

Overall, “Mulan” doesn’t have the usual Disney magic, that feeling that anything and everything can happen in a moment. It falls terribly short of Disney’s animated legacy.

The live-action version of “Mulan” cost 200 million dollars to make and is also only available for streaming on DisneyPlus, which requires both a membership and an additional $30 to view.