BTS takes over the world, one album at a time

By Michelle Dang 

Blood. Sweat. Tears. 

International boy group, BTS, has made its way back into American pop culture billboards with its new album, “Map of the Soul: 7” which released Feb. 21. The album is a follow up to their previous release, “Map of the Soul: Persona”. 

In this album, the songs can be categorized into pop, R&B and hip-hop with influences of rock, trap and EDM. Although five songs were from their previous release, “Map of the Soul: 7” introduces 13 new songs. 

The new album is supported by two singles, “Black Swan” and “ON”. “Black Swan” was based on the quote, “A dancer dies twice —- once when they stop dancing, and this first death is the more painful,” by Martha Graham. Even though the song is melodious, the lyrics discuss how if BTS were to ever lose their passion for music would be like the day they die. The song strongly shows how BTS can create memorable music that also canvass real topics. 

Commonly in BTS music, the songs are catchy and alluring to the ear but also resonate with people and the way we feel. In “Zero O’Clock,” the song carries a steady melody featuring the vocal line of the group – Jimin, V, Jin and Jungkook. 

I connected with this song especially, because it is about having bad days and hoping for a better tomorrow. It is a feeling that most people can understand and sympathize with. 

On the other hand, “Friends” provides a happier and more upbeat feeling. This song is sung by two members of the group- V and Jimin. 

BTS members are also notorious for their deep friendships and strong love for one another. Repeatedly, V and Jimin have called each other their best friends so this song is an endearing result of their friendship. 

“UGH!” presents a new genre of music for those who like rap. This song features the rap line – RM, JHope and SUGA. The word “ugh” is usually an expression to show frustration or annoyance. This song is relatable because everyone gets angry and the lyrics show how we respond when we’re angry. 

Overall, this album includes several different genres of music that can appeal to many different tastes. Some people do not feel like BTS is a group that should be taken seriously but I think that if given the time to listen to their songs and the messages that they are sending to listeners, it will be worth it in the end.