Field athletes reach success in short Spring season

By Brittany Snow

Although this year’s Spring sports season was cut short, field events during the first and final track meet were abundant. On March 5, Gabrielino competed against South El Monte High School in a home meet. Discus and shot put events took place a day prior.

On March 4, junior Melody Ha set a personal record of 25’7.5 distance in shot put.

“I was looking forward to setting new PRs for both shot and disc, and I’m glad I got to do at least one,” Ha stated. 

In events competed alongside main races, athletes including junior Faith Lee and senior Felicia Tang, reached new levels of competition. Lee had the furthest distance in triple jump with 35’5.5, and a 16’1 long jump. 

Tang ended the meet with a 4’8 high jump. Despite it being her last meet of her high school career, she continues to share positive words to her teammates.

“To my teammates who are going to stick with track next year: don’t slack off during the off season,” Tang said. “You are beasts and I hope you find ways to keep the jumps team alive. Don’t let the traditions from the past four years die.”