Gabrielino welcomes new track, field coach

By Halle Fukawa

Copy Editor

Dedication. Drive. Determination.

These are the most vital traits a successful student athlete must possess, something alumni and newly joined Track and Field coach Elijah Peters knows well. 

Coach Peters graduated Gabrielino High School in 2014, and was well-known for his aptitude and enthusiasm for sports. He competed with multiple teams on campus aside from track and field, including football, basketball, and volleyball. After playing for the Cal Lutheran University football team for four years, Coach Peters returned to the San Gabriel Unified School District, now as a P.E teacher for elementary schools and occasionally coaching for the football and boys basketball teams. 

Now, he plans to take the position as coach the track and field sprints team.

“I really enjoy [coaching sprints]. I love this program, [and] the whole school in general. [This is] the community I grew up in.” Coach Peters praised.

Though the community may not be new to him, he marks a big change at Gabrielino, as the sprints team has experienced three different coaches in the past three years. Despite the apprehensive feelings, Coach Peters has already started making his impression on the athletes. 

“[Although I was] a little weary of the change, he’s making a real effort  to get to know us and help us get better,” admitted sprinter Adelaide Esseln, junior. “The workouts we have with him are different, but not in a bad way.”

From his previous experience on the team, Coach Peters’ vision for his training methods were clear. 

“I’m going to focus on quick-twitch muscle development and adaptations.” he stated. “If I could stress this to the kids and they can apply this to their technique then they’ll only get faster.” 

The mental aspect of the sport is also a factor that affects overall performance, something both the athletes and their new coach understands well. 

“I know he’s going to push us to be the best we can be, and it’s going to be a lot of hard work,” commented sprinter Madeline Tao, junior. “But I’m excited to be [coached by him] because I know it’ll be worth it.”

Despite the track team’s turbulent history, the introduction of the new coach has turned the mindset of many athletes. Though he plans to train sprints to the best of his abilities, Coach Peters also sees this as an opportunity to inspire and motivate them the way his own coaches did at Gabrielino. 

“I want them to approach every [race] like it’s their last,” he explained. “I would really stress to the kids that they have limited time here and they have to take advantage of every day.”