Winter Rally revs up waves of energy

By Lana Hy
    Copy Editor

On Jan. 17, Gabrielino High School held its annual Winter Sports Rally in the large gym. Sophomore class council, members of ASB, as well as ASB advisors, Edith Gonzalez and Chanda Strom, were in charge of the rally.

This year, the theme was “Ride or Dive” which is based on the Disney Channel musical film, “Teen Beach Movie.” To encompass the theme, freshmen and seniors dressed as bikers in leather jackets and boots while sophomores and juniors wore Hawaiian shirts and leis to resemble surfers.

Motorcycles and surfboards were scattered throughout the gym. Posters for each winter sport varsity athlete were plastered on the walls.

“A big reason why [we chose the Teen Beach theme] is to end the upperclassmen hierarchy and force seniors and freshmen to team up against juniors and sophomores,” stated Sophomore Class President Maya Pourreza.

During the rally, ASB announced that Grad Nite will take place at Disney California Adventure this year.

“When the location for Grad Nite was about to be revealed, the air was filled with anticipation,” said senior May McCollumn. “Basically, everyone was scared it would be at Universal Studios [again], which would have been lame. [I’m surprised] it’s at California Adventure but I’m also glad.”

Per tradition, varsity athletes of soccer, wrestling, and basketball were invited to walk in the rally.

In light of the theme, members of ASB danced and acted out scenes from Teen Beach Movie with their own comedic twist.

“[Performing] in front of the whole school took a lot of courage but it was definitely fun and worth it,” said ASB secretary, Sarah Cheang, junior.

Students participated in a class cheer while ASB members threw bandannas and leis to the audience.

A video depicting an inside perspective of each team’s dynamics, practices, and games compiled by Gabrielino Film Club was shown followed by a performance from the varsity cheer team.

Towards the end of the rally, two students from each grade level competed in a relay race.

One member on each team rode a tricycle to the opposite side. Once the student reached the other end, their teammate laid their stomach on a scooter board and raced back to the other side.

The senior class won the competition and is currently leading in Class Clash with 800 points, followed by juniors with 760 points, then sophomores with 700 points, and finally freshmen with 575.

“The game was so much fun to watch,” stated Pourreza. “I liked seeing people participating and getting excited for the competition.”