Wrestling tackles competition onto the mat

By Ivy Kwok

This Friday, the Gabrielino High School (GHS) boys wrestling team will compete in the annual West Coast Classic Tournament at Rosemead High School at 1-3 p.m.
    Last season, the Eagles placed 24th out of 42 in the tournament, facing off against San Marino High School, Arroyo High School, and Montebello High School. Senior Donovan Sanin, who was then a junior, came in third place at the tournament in his individual match.

Dec. 13-14, the girls and boys team participated in a 10 Way Tournament held at GHS in the small gym, scores were not available at press time.
    The boys wrestling team went against South El Monte High School on Dec. 12, scores were not available at press time.
    Of that match Coach, Michael Humphrey, stated, “I expect[ed] this match to be a little more intense than the previous ones but the team [was] still well prepared.”
    The team also hosted its own dual competition on Dec. 7 between Gabrielino freshmen and sophomores.
    The boys competed against Marshall High School on Dec. 5 in the small gym, winning, 60-16.
    “I thought we did well,” boys co-captain, senior, Donovan Sanin stated. “Coming in, we had some newer guys and I think they performed to the best of their abilities and they did what they needed to do.”
    Although the boys did not compete against Marshall last year, they expressed confidence in their ability to perform well in this match.
    “Marshall, [is] an all first year program. We went out there and just did what we had to do,” explained Humphrey. “Kids like Donovan Sanin and Ivan He, because of their prior experience, knew exactly what they were supposed to do.”
    Girls wrestling traveled to Wilmer Amina Carter High School, Nov. 29-30 to take part in the Carter Wrestling Tournament. Out of 42 schools, they placed 25th, with 27 points.
    The boys team participated in the South Torrance wrestling tournament on Nov. 27 at South High School. Fighting hard, the team placed ninth out of 14 schools with 80 points.
    Near the end of last season, the Eagles lost in a dual against Arroyo High School, 0-1.
    Coach Humphrey stated, “For sure we should be contenders for the League Championship between Arroyo so I’m [really] looking to prepare for them because they are the only ones who are going to keep us in competition.”