Holiday magic must be continued

By Halle Fukawa
    Copy Editor

Imagine a world where every winter, a jolly Christmas gift-giver brings presents to every child, and in the spring a giant rabbit hides colorful eggs and candy while a special little fairy exchanges fallen baby teeth for coins.

Despite the happy memories this fantasy world has brought generations, many parents today are conflicted over continuing the chain of white lies and telling their children the truth. Many fail to realize that passing on the tradition of whimsy is not deceiving children but, rather, giving them the gift of make-believe and should continue telling their children about these fictional characters.
    The belief that telling children there about Santa will cause trust issues and damage rational thinking is becoming increasingly common, despite the lack of evidence.
    Parents like Kelsey Johnson look from the outside-in, as she opted not to impress upon her children these stories. In an article Johnson wrote for the Washington Post, she explained that magic defies logic and reason, and it will only dull a child’s critical thinking.
    However, Kristin Dunfield, developmental scientist and professor at Concordia University, counters this idea in her article in The Conversation. She stated, “[believing in Santa is] associated with counter-factual reasoning skills… [and helped in] boosting emotional development.”
    She continues to explain that through thinking critically about the logistics of these myths, such as brainstorming ways Santa’s sleigh could fly, children are exercising their problem solving skills and honing in on their curiosity. When the child does eventually find out the truth, they learn to cope with the information and emerge with newfound knowledge and maturity.
    Dr. Benjamin Siegel, Professor of Pediatrics and Psychiatry at the Boston University School of Medicine, confirmed this to PBS in 2017, stating, “Most kids do fine when they learn a myth is not real.”
    While the initial shock of finding out these characters are fiction may be jarring at first, it is clear to see that there is not any harm done. Therefore, parents and guardians should continue passing on these stories to their children.
    Telling stories about Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny gives children the opportunity to dream and adults a moment to reminisce. As Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “The greatest gift you can give a child is an imagination.”