European Union approves Brexit extension

By Michelle Dang

After a meeting between the Labour Party and Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Conservatives, both parties agreed to push the next British general election from 2022 to this December. These efforts have brought Johnson hopes of winning more Conservative seats, aiding the Brexit deal to pass sooner.

According to Investopedia, Brexit is an abbreviation for “British exit,” referring to the United Kingdom’s decision in a June 23, 2016 referendum to leave the European Union.
    Johnson’s first proposal for a revision of the Brexit plan was not passed by UK legislature with Members of Parliament (MP’s), postponing the vote. The revised plan created new borders between Northern Ireland and Great Britain.
    BBC News reported, “Johnson was forced to write a Brexit extension letter to the EU [European Union] after MPs failed to approve a Brexit revised deal by 19 October.”
    When the plan was not approved, Parliament pushed the Brexit cut off date to Jan. 31 instead of its initial Oct. 31 date.
    A poll by Ipsos Mori was released on Oct. 31, and revealed that the Conservatives were in the lead at 41 percent while the Labour Party had 24 percent, leaving Johnson with an edge.
    The Prime Minister told Fox News, “If I win a majority in this election, we will ratify the great new deal that I have negotiated, get Brexit done in January, and the country will move on.”
    However, while the early election seems beneficial for Johnson, there are also reasons to believe that his efforts may not be successful.
    “There is a strong chance an election could produce a Parliament as divided over Brexit as the current one,” stated Samuel Petrequin, reporter for Fox News. “Nigel Farage’s Brexit party could also jeopardize the lead of Johnson’s Tories by splitting the pro-Brexit vote.”
    Farage, the leader of the Brexit Party, partnered with U.S. President Donald Trump to suggest that Trump should work together with them in the Brexit Party, only to have his plan rejected.
    “Anybody who looks at our deal can see it is a great deal,” Johnson stated in an interview for The Guardian. “What it does is it allows us to have full unfettered control of our tariff schedules and all we need to do now is get on and do it.”