San Gabriel Turkey Trot sparks joy

By Leslie Lim

On Nov. 16, San Gabriel hosted its annual Turkey Trot at Vincent Lugo Park, celebrating its 44th consecutive year hosting the event. Throughout the morning, competitors participated in the 10K run, 5K walk, 5k run and 1K youth run.
    Proceeds from the event will benefit youth programs in San Gabriel.

Parks and Recreation, along with the San Gabriel Police Department were there in order to ensure that the event ran smoothly.
    At 7:00 a.m. the 10k run and 5k walk commenced, with participates lining up at the start. With the loud sound of a horn, the runners and walkers began the race. The 5k run commenced shortly after, and at 8:15 a.m. the 1K youth run began. This year marked senior Nicholas Correnti’s sixth year participating in the 5k run. Last year, he earned first place in his age division.
    “[The Turkey Trot] brings everyone in the community together and gets everyone to celebrate the Thanksgiving season,” stated Correnti. “With all of the booths and events going on, it’s really fun.”
    Various community service clubs from Gabrielino High School, including Key Club and Optimist, volunteered at the event, providing event. Whether it was holding signs, handing out medals, or walking on the route to ensure the event worked soundly, the clubs were there to show support.
    Junior Ashley Fung, a member of Key Club, passed out medals to the runners after they crossed the finish line.
    “In a way, through volunteer work, I am helping events such as the Turkey Trot run more efficiently and smoothly,” stated Fung.
    Parks and Recreation plays an important part in many community events and hosts youth programs afterschool and during the summer. Monica Hernandez, senior, works for them part-time and helped set up the event.
    “I like helping out at these events because they bring people closer [together],” stated Hernandez. “ I love seeing when the younger kids get all excited when they run.”
    Also participating in the Turkey Trot was senior Allen Lee. Lee is on the Gabrielino Cross Country team with Correnti.
    “It’s fun to get out here,” stated Lee. “You get to see familiar faces and they enjoy the same things you do.”