Ones to watch

By Kayla Gochez

For senior Angel Sanchez, basketball has always been a part of his life. He grew up playing basketball and has developed a passion for the game that has enabled him to become a natural leader.

“His hard work, dedication, leadership abilities, and helpfulness towards his teammates are what make him stand out,” stated Coach John Carney.
    Sanchez recognizes that he holds more responsibilities, such as being vocal and helpful towards his teammates. His passion and mindset set him apart and propel him towards achieving his goals.
    “We’re winning league, it’s that simple,” stated Sanchez, “We all want to win league and get farther then we did in CIF last year. That’s the plan.”

When Coach Desiree Almarez told junior Emily Trinh that her playing time would be slim to none during the upcoming basketball season, Trinh took on the challenge and immensely improved her skills, transcending her coach’s initial expectations.
    “She has become more consistent in what she contributes to the team,” stated Coach Almarez. “Her ability to work hard makes her stand out, as well as her coachability.”
    Trinh is able to play ef ciently on both offense and defense, which makes her a difficult player to guard. She can also play any position on the court, setting her apart from her teammates.
    Aside from continuing to improve her basketball skills, she hopes to win league and go far in CIF this season.

Last year, sophomore Haley Mo’okini dominated the soccer field by leading in all offensive categories and making first team all league.
    “Her desire to compete and her will to look to score sets her apart from her teammates,” stated Coach Rafa Moran.
    She works hard in the off season to strengthen her skill set by playing outside of school, attending trainings, and playing games against older girls. Through her continuous efforts, she has seen a significant improvement in her soccer skills.
    Mo’okini hopes for a successful season as she wants to advance far into CIF and make first team all league again.

Junior Angelina Romero was encouraged by a friend to begin wrestling. She held little to no knowledge of the sport but quickly began to excel and dominate the mat.
    “She was a match away from making state last year and I know she is looking to win that match this year to go to state,” stated Coach Michael Humphreys.
    Romero has worked diligently to improve her technique by attending summer and off season practices. Her open- mindedness to her teammates’ advice aids her in developing her skills.
    Romero looks forward to this season and wants to make it to state this year while pushing herself past her comfort zone to become a better wrestler.

Senior Hector Gomez-Zepeda grew up in a household where playing sports was highly encouraged. He began playing soccer during family parties with his neighbors and itsoon turned into a passion.
    “He is understanding the game more,” stated Coach Miguel Garcia. “He is getting an idea of what we expect from him running the system and his soccer IQ has grown a lot over the years. He is more confident on the field, more natural.”
    Zepeda’s knowledge of the game has improved immensely from last season, enabling him to become a more defensive player. He is contributing more to his team offensively and wants to continue to excel in this position.
    Zepeda hopes to bond more with his teammates this season.

Senior Donovan Sanin has been surrounded by wrestling since he was young. due to his father coaching and his brother participating in the sport. His love towards wrestlingcontinued to grow and propeled him to work hard.
    “Donovan is definitely the guy to watch,” stated Coach Michael Humphreys. “He is a returning CIF finalist and he is looking to make it to state this year.”
    His leadership abilities and knowledge of wrestling set him apart from his teammates. He works hard during the off season by attending trainings, summer practices, and wrestling camps to better his wrestling techniques.
    Sanin holds aspirations of making it to CIF again, and hopefully, to the state championships.