Republicans benefit from impeachment trials

By Michelle Dang

Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi’s, recent efforts to impeach President Donald Trump have not been as effective as she had hoped. Her accusations of Trump seeking help from Ukrainian President, Volodymyr Zelensky, to find slander about former Vice President, Joe Biden, have caused the Democratic party to look desperate rather than smart. Through the impeachment inquiry, the Republican party is placed at an advantage over the Democrats. 

From the beginning of Trump’s presidency the Democrats have been pursuing efforts to remove him from office and have failed to do so, thus far. After the results of the Mueller investigation in 2016 came out with no collusion, it is plausible that the Democrats are only working to succeed in removing him from office once more. 

“If the House were to launch an impeachment without ‘overwhelming’ evidence of high crimes and misdemeanors and strong bipartisan public support,” from the New Yorker. “Trump’s inevitable acquittal in the Republican-controlled Senate would only strengthen him, and he could cruise to reelection.”

The implication that the Democratic party do not have enough information to remove Trump from office puts them at a risk to fail at their efforts. This provides the “Grand Old Party” (GOP), another well known name for the Republican party, with leverage.

The evidence that Pelosi and Schiff have presented to the impeachment inquiry have all been unsuccessful in helping their case against Trump. The Democrats have been ignorant to focus on the election and what they need to appeal to the common people and instead waste time and resources on the impeachment. 

The New York Times mentioned that “by focusing on their obsession with the person of Donald Trump, Democrats are giving up the opportunity to talk about wages, employment, the shrinking middle class or any of the other things that motivate normal voters.” 

In the case of the impeachment process, it is unlikely that the Democratic party would win the two-thirds vote to be able to impeach Trump with 45 seats in Senate compared to 53 Republican seats. The GOP have the upper hand with a majority of seats in Senate, and a majority of those seats publicly supporting their president. 

“In order for the Senate to convict the president of charges, 20 Senate Republicans would have to join with the 47-member Democratic caucus in order to reach the 67-person supermajority threshold that’s needed.” stated Vox News.

Even though the Democratic party attempted to indict Trump for his wrongdoing, their struggles have only resulted in aiding them make pointless claims and focusing on the president rather than the people. The unsuccesses of their actions have benefitted the GOP and relieved them of the extra efforts to gain votes for the election.