Golf hits hard

By Raymond Tran

Editor in Chief

Tomorrow at the Alhambra Golf Course, the girls golf team will be playing against La Canada High School at 2:30 p.m.

In recent years, the girls won their games against the Spartans. The team hopes to keep up its streak in the upcoming game. 

“We’re fairly confident about the game since we sort of have a winning streak,” co-captain Casey Chenh, senior, said. “The only worry is beating the score we got last time on their course.” 

On Sept. 26, the team played against Alhambra High School. Scores were unavailable during press time. 

The Lady Eagles competed against Temple City High School at the Eaton Canyon Golf Course on Sept. 24.

Last year, the girls lost against the Rams. Although they made efforts towards redemption, they fell short and suffered another loss, 240-191. 

“Our goals this year are for all of us to play to the best of our abilities, improve in our areas of growth, and, of course, aim for a lower score,” co-captain Casey Lee, senior, stated.

Lee and Chenh both made the top six as well as senior Crystal Hsu, juniors Brittany Snow and Madeline Tao, and sophomore Khin Maung. Hsu had the lowest individual score of 45 while Maung and Chenh tied for the lowest of the six with a score of 50, one of which was dropped from the overall team score. 

“I was doing pretty good in the beginning, but because of the heat, I started to lose the feel of the game,” said Tao. “Our team definitely did the best we could considering [Eaton Canyon] being such a long course, so I’m pretty proud of how we did despite the loss.”

On Sept. 19, the girls played San Marino and lost, 215-200.

The team faced its first loss on Sept. 17 against South Pasadena High School at the Alhambra Golf Course, 218-200.

Although the girls may have lost, they still scored under 230. If the team is able to score lower than 230 for six league games, they can still qualify for CIF, regardless of win or lose. 

“The game I was most worried about was [South Pasadena] since it’s our rival school,” Chenh stated. “It’s only the start of the season. Hopefully, this year I can help the girls out with their swings and give them advice about how to improve their golf game […] on the course.” 

The Lady Eagles swung against Westridge High School on Sept. 4, kicking off their season with a victory, 251-268.