New schedule has embedded support

By Raymond Tran

Editor in Chief

Imagine being assigned an essay, two projects, a lab, and math homework all in one day, getting stressed, but remembering that the new bell schedule allows for a period to complete these tasks. 

The 2019-2020 Gabrielino High School schedule was altered from the previous year in order to make room for a 45 minute period on Tuesdays and Thursdays known as embedded time. The new schedule now puts students into a study hall, or if needed, academic intervention. 

“While we could always identify who was struggling, we couldn’t find a way to reach them,” assistant principal Ruth Esseln stated. “Then, in more recent years, we started looking at the mental health issues regarding our students.” 

Embedded time was initially brought up when the Data Team was searching for a solution to these problems. After looking at schools such as Walnut High School and Dos Pueblos High School, the team believed embedded time could remedy these issues. 

“Since the start, I always thought that embedded time would be really helpful and beneficial for students,” sophomore Hana Thai stated.

Those in need of academic support have been placed into intervention, a classroom in which a teacher and student tutors are available to provide assistance. Meanwhile, embedded time is used as a study hall, a chance for students to complete assignments or distress from their school day. 

“It’s really nice to have some time just to get a math worksheet or history notes done,” Thai expressed, “especially since I’m in [volleyball] season right now.” 

In addition to the study hall, silver slips can be used by students to travel between classes and the academic support centers to receive one-on-one help from teachers, makeup tests, or meet with lab groups.

“One main thing that silver slipping [to physics] has done is free up my lunch period,” Elizabeth Lau, senior, commented. “It’s also a great way to review and strengthen concepts with fast-paced classes.”

In October and April, more trial weeks will be held to determine if the new schedule can be adjusted to be more efficient, as the current one has gotten some backlash for its irregularity with class times. For two weeks at a time, the administration will be testing the bell schedule of La Canada High School as well as retrying Walnut’s to see which would work best. 

“What’s happening with embedded time is still evolving,” Esseln remarked, “but as of right now, it’s a really exciting start.”