Magical memories trump monetary costs

By Courtney Tsao

Prom is known as the “once in a lifetime” event in which high schoolers are given the opportunity to experience a prolonged night of wearing fancy suits and gowns and having fun with friends. Despite the costly effects of self-pampering and buying the proper outfit to match the etiquette of the event, Prom remains as one of the most special parts of high school that is worth one’s while.

Usually reserved as an event for juniors and seniors, Prom is a night that students are able to spend with their dates and friends as a way to end a school year with a bang. According to Lake Minnetonka Magazine, Prom first started out in 1894 as the occasion in which teenagers gathered and socialized to encourage and foster healthy social etiquette, hence the reason behind the dressing up and sophisticated Prom themes that convey the special night.

The time spent at Prom ultimately satisfies one’s definition of an eventful and lively night filled with dancing and eating. This year, Gabrielino High School’s Prom was held at the Majestic Downtown, a venue known to hold formal banquets and parties, and lived up the the expectation.

Sporting the classic Greek concepts of olive wreaths and sculpted marble columns, Gabrielino’s Prom theme of  “A Night in Athens” added to the appeasing ambiance as attendees enjoyed themed photoshoots, a dance floor, a nonalcoholic drink bar, a cheese fondue appetizer bar, a dinner bar that featured caesar salads and pesto chicken, and dessert bar featuring melted chocolate and marshmallow dip.

“Although the ticket price made me a little hesitant in going, I’m glad that I did,” stated senior Kiev Ung. “This year’s theme really made it magical and just being around friends in such a setting definitely makes the entire experience worth it.”

To add, the very process of preparing for Prom itself also holds its own significance, creating posters with witty phrases to ask a person out or going shopping with friends are considered to be some of the highlights of Prom.

“I had less than a week to find a good pair of heels and was a little stressed about it,” stated senior Jenny Wu. “But going shopping with my friends lessened my tension, and I not only ended up finding the heels that I wanted, but I also had a great time.”

Despite this year’s ticket prices ranging from $115 to $125, with a $10 increase after each week of sales, high schoolers shouldn’t be discouraged from attending Prom or feel the need to skip it entirely simply because of costs.

Any affordability issues can be lessened through certain measures that the school can make, such  as hosting more fundraisers, and raising money that can be used to lower the cost of Prom tickets. During Prom season, the school administration or the school’s ASB can also actively look for cheaper alternatives for gowns and suit rentals and inform students of their options; many organizations are open to allowing rentals to students who may be unable to pay for their attire to rent their outfit for free or at a lower price.

Prom is one of the most memorable and amazing parts of teenhood and is ultimately worth the price.