Scholar, dancer Chen keeps head high

By Jaclyn Quan

Hardworking, studious, and determined.

This is how senior Wei-Chi Chen describes herself. From practicing for K-Pop club’s upcoming performances to working in the school cafeteria, Chen has put in every ounce of effort for whatever she does in school and has set herself to be an outstanding example amongst her fellow peers.

Aside from extracurriculars, she is also focused on her academics. She has a 4.6 weighted GPA and has taken a total of 12 AP classes which include: Biology, Chinese, Calculus AB and BC, and English Language and Literature. Chen will be attending the University of California, Berkeley in the fall with a major in Cell and Developmental Biology.

“Wei-Chi is an exemplary [figure] who works well with [others] and puts her heart and soul in everything she does,” stated Janiece Thorp, Business and Marketing teacher.

During her four years at Gabrielino High School, Chen served as the president for the Japanese Language and Cultures Club and Math Club for one year and a treasurer for K-Pop Club for two years.

In order to balance her extracurriculars and academics, Chen keeps a strong work ethic built on hard work and motivation. By staying on task, she is able to produce the best quality of work and accomplish her goals.

“I believe that no efforts [should] go to waste, so I encourage myself to always do my best,” stated Chen.

While she has had many successes throughout high school, there were also personal challenges that she faced. As a result of taking numerous rigorous, academic courses, she would stay up countless nights to finish her homework and began to compare herself with her classmates.

Eventually, Chen stated that she slowly learned how to appreciate herself amidst the positive environment that Gabrielino provides for her. In particular, she cites Yan Mao, Mandarin teacher at Gabrielino, as a caring and motivational person she looks up to.

Aside from being a hardworking student, Chen is also described as a caring and generous person, who is willing to help others. She hopes to carry this trait when becomes a gastroenterologist, which will allow her to build connections with her patients and address their concerns.

To decompress, she enjoys dancing to K-Pop music and taking trips to the beach or Downtown LA. As an active member of K-Pop club, she states that the club has allowed her to express her love for dancing along with meeting new friends, who helped instill confidence in her.