626 Golden Streets returns to San Gabriel

By Leslie Lim

On May 19, Active San Gabriel and Metro Los Angeles hosted 626 Golden Streets, spanning from South Pasadena and Alhambra, to San Gabriel. The free event featured over 150 exhibitors and vendors and had live music, performances, and food.

Focused on promoting healthier lifestyles and using alternative forms of transportation instead of cars, 626 Golden Streets promoted cleaner ways of living by including electric vehicle demonstrations and encouraging biking. One of the issues they addressed was air quality in Los Angeles and the San Gabriel Valley.

The event closed down five miles of streets from cars and allowed people to bike, walk, and skate the route. Without a particular starting or ending point, the event allowed attendees to choose where to start and had two-way traffic.

“I think people really enjoy it, it introduces them to new neighborhoods and communities that they do not spend much time in because if you’re driving your car you’re not going to notice a new little shop” explained Wesley Reutimann, Special Programs Director for Active San Gabriel. “We also wanted to show people that walking and biking are the better options for shorter trips.”

Three ‘festival hubs’ were placed in the cities of Alhambra, San Gabriel, and South Pasadena and had a variety of art activities, inflatable obstacle courses, and entertainment. In each hub they visited, attendees could collect a free city sticker.   

An opening ceremony at 8:30 a.m. commenced in South Pasadena with the mayors of San Gabriel, Alhambra, and South Pasadena coming together along with Gabe the Sasquatch, the official 626 Golden Streets mascot, in order to kick off the event.

Performers took the Mission Playhouse stage, among them Sol de Fuego Folklórico, Marimba, Son de Kalvera, and the San Gabriel High School Marching and Concert bands.

Local businesses held discounts and specials for the event. Labobatory offered $1 dollar off of any of their drinks and Maido Alhambra offered 10 percent off any of their merchandise.

Throughout the event, volunteers from local schools and organizations aided in organizing the event.

“It’s been pretty fun,” stated sophomore Alex Gu, a volunteer for the Asian Youth Center. “There has been a lot of positive energy because of the music, runners and bicyclists.”

Two years ago, Active San Gabriel held 626 Golden Streets and had more than 17 miles of streets available for pedestrians to walk along. The event boasted over 100,000 visitors. On Oct. 26, Active San Gabriel will host another 626 Golden Streets, themed around Halloween.