Zombie Prom, unique high school musical

By Lana Hy

On April 12-14, Gabrielino High School’s drama department performed ¨Zombie Prom,” their final play of the school year. It was also the last play Jan Glusklin will direct before her upcoming retirement after 22 years as the drama advisor.

“We have our largest cast ever, and they are dedicated and talented,” said Glusklin. “I hate to see it all end.”

The Drama department wanted to put on a play that was unique, which prompted Glusklin to conduct research until she found “Zombie Prom,” a musical showcased in 2011.

“Zombie Prom” is based off a comic book published in 1959 when Jonny, a teenage boy, is brought back to life by the love of Toffee, his high school sweetheart. Earlier in the play, Jonny committed suicide by hurling himself into the Francis Gray Powers nuclear power plant.

“My mom actually didn’t like me [playing] a role that had to do with me dying,” revealed senior William Tantribeau, the portrayer of Jonny. “After [I convinced] her that it’s a fun love story that [is] enjoyable for everyone, she finally let me.”

Toffee mourned for Jonny until he reappeared as a zombie after bursting out of a locker. However, Miss Strict, principal of Enrico Fermi High School, no longer accepted Jonny due to his zombie form.

“It’s so exhausting having a lead role, but it was the most fun I have ever had on set before,” stated junior Alexia Salazar, who played Toffee. “I was also able to become closer with everyone that was part of the cast.”

Although Jonny was not permitted at Enrico Fermi High, that did not stop him from sneaking into his senior year prom to be with Toffee. At the prom, Miss Strict was informed by Flagrante, the news reporter and her former love, that Jonny was their son, which prompted her to allow Jonny to stay.

In this musical, the majority of the cast composed of freshmen and students with no previous acting experience.

“Participating in my first school play was honestly one of the best experiences of my life,” stated sophomore Sarah Cheang. “I can’t believe I almost never went through with it because I was so anxious.”

Drama alumni came every Saturday to help construct the set. Sound design was operated by the stagecraft class while the orchestra was made up of alumni Gennie Cheng and Ryan Cheng, sophomore Jack Chiou, and Gabrielino´s attendence clerk Kevin Weir.

“This was nothing like ´High School Musical,´said Tantribeau. “I wouldn’t have it any other way.”