Shop smart

By Daeja lee Conner

Each year, mountains of wasted material fill landfills across the globe. With trash sailing afloat on oceans and pollution being a major issue within the United States, a solution to this stinky problem is possible. Adults and children can bring out their green thumbs and become smarter consumers to help put a stop to this pressing issue.

A simple task to do to begin being a smarter consumer is recycling. Recycling can reduce the number of trash that is produced and reduce the amount of chemical methane pollution from the breaking down of trash in the current landfills.

Though recycling has been around since the 1960s it is a task that some find bothersome. A survey done in 2017 by Drew Bucker a Rubicon recycling representative showed that although 75 percent of America’s waste is recyclable, but Americans only recycle around 30 percent of it, resulting in roughly 80 percent of the items that wind up in landfills to be recyclable products. Therefore, taking the few extra steps to take a finished Pepsi can to the the designated blue bin rather than a trash can could help create a drastic difference in dumping grounds. Also California is one of the 11 states to offer CVR, or a compensation for recycling.

Another handy tip to help the environment is to buy only what is needed when grocery shopping. With the U.S. holding the number one spot for food waste, it is not something that goes unnoticed. Testing results taken from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization showed that in 2017, 51 percent of all produce in the US was thrown away which added up to around 60 million tons of food.

Consumer skills like avoiding unnecessary product buying helps the atmosphere but also puts money back in consumers pockets. Another option is buying things in concentrate or in bulk. Also, buying foods with longer shelf life decreases the amount of food that has to be thrown away.

Visiting local thrift shops can also provide cheaper and more eco-friendly clothing. Name brands such as Pacsun and Urban Outfitters that use manufacturing plants release tons of chemicals in the atmosphere and add to air pollution and global warming. Thrift stores, however, use a process of donation and reselling to help keep clothes out of the trash. These businesses can be found everywhere and surprise customers daily with exciting cheap finds and discounts on store items for donating. Savers, a thrift shop chain, offers 15% percent off to customers who donate to help encourage to be a smarter consumer.

Changing simple things on a day to day basis may seem miniscule but doing things as little as starting a vegetable garden, printing on both sides of a paper, or using a washable hand towel instead of disposable paper towels can make a difference. So encourage a friend, a neighbor, a cousin to join the movement because shopping right will make the future bright.