Building towards a successful career

Valerie Nea

Copy Editor   

“Getting this job allowed me to make enough money to treat my mother by taking her out to eat, buying her clothes, and still having enough for myself,” senior Fabian Hernandez stated.

Hernandez works part time as a construction worker for his uncle’s company. His job includes a wide range of tasks such as plumbing, painting, flooring, roofing, cementing, and installing.

Unlike many jobs, Hernandez only works on weekends for 20 hours a week. This flexibility has allowed him to stay focused on his school work while still being able to make money. However, during summer, spring, and winter break he spends most his time working.

“I am constantly having to choose work over hanging out with friends or going out,” shares Hernandez, “But I don’t mind because I love the job and money as well.”

He found a passion for construction work because most of his family is involved with the job.

Hernandez explained, “When I was a kid I would pick up tools and look at my uncles while they work even if I was too young to actually do anything.”

Now, with his eight years of experience, Hernandez truly feels working construction is a fulfilling job. Despite the long hard days of work, to him, the final product is worth it. The experience of being able to convert nothing into something intrigues Hernandez every time he goes to work.

“The process amazes me whether it is remodeling a beat down house or actually constructing one entirely,” Hernandez proudly expressed. “Just being able to see that process and be a part of it is fascinating”

Hernandez plans to take his skills and interest in construction to pursue a career as a construction manager because he will still be able to be part of projects just without wearing out his body. He aims to get a bachelor’s in construction management and then head straight to work.

Senior Angela Shi, Hernandez’s friend, commented,”I’ve seen the work he does and it’s amazing. I also do this construction class with him and he’s very talented.”