Ensuring good luck

By Valerie Nea

Copy Editor

Lunar New Year is a time of festivities and traditions where families welcome the new year and pray for good fortune. However, there are also superstitions followed in order to prevent a years worth of bad luck, here are some of the most common ones.

1. Do not wash hair on New Year’s day.

It is believed that it is unlucky for people to wash their hair on New Year’s day because it will wash away all the good luck. In the Chinese language, hair is pronounced “fa,” and to make money is pronounced “facai,” so washing hair would be like washing away money.

1. Do not clean or sweep the house.

It is customary to clean the house before the new year because it symbolizes getting rid of the old rotten luck to make room for new good fortune. However, cleaning on the actual day is forbidden because it represents sweeping the good luck out the front door.

1. Do not leave debts unpaid.

Because a lot of the celebration’s superstitions are aimed at ensuring prosperity during the new year, it is important to repay all debts owed, if any. It is believed that if people start off the new year with no debt, they will end it the same way.

1. Do not say negative words.

Negative words are frowned upon during this festive time because they are taken quite literally, translating to a year of terrible things. Anything like “kill,” “sick,” and “die” should never be said. Even the number four, which is pronounced “si,” should be avoided because the word is also a homophone for death in Chinese.

1. Do not wear white or black.

The colors white and black are associated with death and mourning in Chinese culture. Instead, wear lucky colors like gold and red which once again symbolizes luck, fortune, and prosperity.