The Ten: Throwback toys

By Kelly Quach

1. Beyblade

“Let it rip!” Beyblades were spinning top toys that kids used to challenge each other in battles. In between 2002 and 2003, Beyblades were the number one toy in the United States and Canada.

2.Tamagotchi

The virtual handheld keychain pet quickly gained popularity in the early 2000s due to the inexpensive price tag and the constant need for attention the pixelated pet required.

3. Yu-Gi-Oh! Cards

Yu-Gi-Oh! Cards were a set of cards that kids loved to collect and trade. In 2009, Yu-Gi-Oh! Cards were the top selling trade card game after they sold more than 22 billion cards worldwide.

4. Rubik’s Cube

The colorful faces were attached to the center and would puzzle children for hours. Within three years of its release, the simple 3D object sold more than 100 million units worldwide.

5. Nintendo DS Lite

The handheld dual-screen consoles were popular because they were slim, portable, and did not require wifi. Nintendo sold 93 million units of the DS Lite and continue to produce more advanced versions.

6. Mansion, Apartment, Shack, House (M.A.S.H)

The multiplayer paper-and-pencil game predicted one’s future by randomization. The fortune-telling game was invented in 1983 by Mark Mash and caught on to millions of kids.

7. Waterful Ring Toss

Waterful Ring Toss was a handheld game where rings were tossed around a peg. The game was simple, it had one or two buttons, but caught the attention of kids because of its simplicity.

8. Nerf Guns

Nerf Guns were toy guns that would shoot foam darts with a click of a button used to participate in battles. In 2011, Nerf blasters brought in $410 million in revenue for Hasbro, Inc.

9. Easy Bake Ovens

These ovens have been around for more than a century and use an incandescent light bulb to bake its treats. In 1997, more than 16 million easy bake ovens had been sold all around the world.

10. Invisible ink pens

Sold at book fairs all around the United States, invisible ink pens were very popular amongst students at school. Many enjoyed using UV light to decode hidden messages in their notebooks.