North Korea and South Korea bond

By Jasmine Lam

On Jan. 9, North Korea and South Korea delegates convened peacefully for the first time in two years. The two countries met at the demilitarized zone (DMZ) in Panmunjom to discuss North Korea’s involvement in the 2018 Winter Olympics that will be held in South Korea.

At their first meeting, North Korea agreed to send a delegation to the Olympics. The delegation will consist of athletes, an art troupe, a cheering squad, visitors group, Taekwondo demonstration team, and press team.

On Jan. 15, the two countries met for a second time and announced on Jan. 17 that they will be having a joint women’s ice hockey team and will even be marching together under one flag at the Olympics.

This will be the first time the two countries march under the same flag since the Sydney Games in 2002.

Chief South Korean delegate Cho Myoung-gyon stated, “North Korea’s participation in the Pyeongchang Games will provide us with a chance to reduce tension on the Korean Peninsula.”

Despite missing the deadline for confirming their participation in the Games, Figure skaters Ryom Tae Ok and Kim Ju Sik were given a place to compete.

North Korea will be sending a total of 22 athletes, 12 players will be added to the South Korean team. Two athletes will be competing in the short track speed skating category, two male athletes and one female athlete will participate in the cross country skiing, and two men and one female will be competing in the alpine skiing category.

“Our mission is always to ensure the participation of all qualified athletes, beyond all political tensions and divisions,” released the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in a statement, “On this, we have been working with all the stakeholders for quite some time.”

South Korea’s unification team has also announced that both countries will be involved in activities before the Games. The athletes will be training together at a ski resort, and performers from both countries will have a joint cultural event in North Korea.

“I think if this goes well, it will create an opportunity for North Korea and the U.S. to sit down at the table of dialogue,” stated governor of the Gangwon Province, Choi Moon-soon, to CNN.