Simple, healthy snacks to replace junk food

By Nyah Toomes

Mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes

Even though mashed potatoes with gravy are delicious, they also are the culprit for    blood sugar levels rising and weight gain due to its high carbs.  Mashed cauliflower is a great alternative to mashed potatoes because they are the same consistency. A one cup serving of cauliflower is only 28 calories, compared to potatoes which is 134 calories at a one cup serving. Cauliflower contains 77% of the recommended daily value of vitamin C. Not only is it extremely rich in nutrients, it also prevents cancer and promotes weight loss.

Kombucha instead of soda

Kicking one’s soda habit just became easier. Soda causes dehydration and can lead to cavities and gum disease. Coca-cola can also clean glass, so just imagine what damage it could be doing to one’s insides.  Kombucha, on the other hand,  is a carbonated, probiotic, fermented tea that is beneficial to the liver and aids in digestion. Kombucha can also boost one’s mood because it provides energy caffeine. On the next grocery store trip, opt out on the liter of Coke for a bottle of Kombucha.

Chia bar instead of chocolate bar

Chocolate bars soar high on the saturated fat chart and average about 200 to 250 calories. Chia bars are more beneficial than any regular chocolate bars because they contain 20 grams of protein and just 100 calories. Chia bars are also an excellent source of Omega-3s, a fatty acid that reduces inflammation and are linked to cardiovascular health. The snack is so good for one’s health that it can also be used as a meal replacement.

Frozen Grapes instead of ice cream

I scream, you scream, we all scream for frozen grapes! Though ice cream is a go-to dessert, it is important to know that there are other options out there. Ice cream can vary from 134 to 250 calories, while frozen grapes only have 110 calories and only four of those calories stem from fat. Since the grapes are frozen they will take longer to eat, which causes one to be more satisfied after finishing them.